Well My Goldfish Made It Through The Night.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

SeaGoddess said:
I would tell you what I was planning on doing with them but you guys would freak out.. lol

I have a feeling you're probably right >.>

... I'm not sure that I even want to know, but the suspense is killing me! What are your plans?

Haha. Weeelllllll...When they get big enough I am going to put them in my horse trough. 
biggrin.png

Why are you putting them in the trough? Is this instead of a larger aquarium? Might work, maybe... I hope it's clean!

Ya well around where I live a lot of people put goldfish in their horse trough. They keep the troughs clean. I have a friend that won a fish at the fair (I'm 13 thats why we are winning fish at the fair) and put it in his trough and it's like 2 feet long now. It even lives through the winters when the trough ices over.

I don't see that as too big of a problem as long as it is wide enough for the fish.  Definitely better than where they are right now.  I would actually suggest moving them soon that way they can grow the best.  :)

You guys should check out my blog. It has my fish on it. www.iheartfishes.blogspot.com

Wildbetta said:
I don't see that as too big of a problem as long as it is wide enough for the fish.  Definitely better than where they are right now.  I would actually suggest moving them soon that way they can grow the best.  
smile.png

Actually, this is a BIG PROBLEM

Anybody worth their salt empties and refills horse troughs every day, if they get mosquitos.

Adding a fish will force the animals to drink ammonia. There will be fish feces in the water trough, it's a lazy mans way of dealing with mosquitoes. I think you also need to remember that goldfish can carry salmonella and tuberculosis, both of which CAN be contagious to other animals!

Please, SeaGoddess, don't be like them. I severely doubt you can care for the goldfish properly, it may be best to find someone with a pond or a suitable tank for them.

In the mean time, please go out and get a large storage bin- this is a cheap alternative to a large aquarium and can house the goldies temporarily. You can hook up a filter to it and perform water changes like normal. :)

You seem a bit like me when I first started keeping bettas, 7 years ago. Anywhere from 1/2 gallon to 2 gallon tanks. All unheated, cleaned a few times a month. I felt like I knew so much- but I was completely in the dark. There is so much to learn about bettas, goldfish, any fish really! You'll never know everything about them so please, when someone comes and tells you your care isn't right, look into it! Don't take their suggest as law just research it.

Another thing you seem to need to learn is knowing your limit. This is also something I have experience with. At one time, I had over 20 bettas. This was way too many for me and they suffered for it.

I can tell you right now, bettas need at least 1 gallon of water. This has to be heated to 75-80F and cleaned out 100% twice a week.

That is the minimum amount of care these fish need. That means the bare basics for simply surviving to their full life span.

And the goldfish, if you don't upgrade them soon (see- within a week) there will be consequences. These fish are filthy, they are fouling up your 5 gallon so fast it's already nearly killed them. Please, take that as a hint and upgrade them asap. And not to a trough.

Wildbetta, on 22 Jun 2013 - 8:58 PM, said:

Wildbetta said:
I don't see that as too big of a problem as long as it is wide enough for the fish.  Definitely better than where they are right now.  I would actually suggest moving them soon that way they can grow the best.  
smile.png

Actually, this is a BIG PROBLEM

So sorry!  I actually didn't think past the part that it was a bigger amount of water than where they were now.  I wasn't even thinking of it being a trough that was used by the horses, more along the lines of just holding fish.   You are completely right about it not being a good idea AT all.  Thank you for correcting my mistake.  :D

Ya I will probably just chuck them in my horse pond. So they can feed the cat fish lol

SeaGoddess said:
Everyone has different opinions and I can tell you right now my opinion won't be yours. So let's just not fuss over it and get on with our lives.
smile.png

Not trying to start an argument, but when it comes to fish keeping if you're not going to take care of your fish then it's not really an opinion, it's just wrong.  And please, do whatever you want with your fish, if you strongly disagree with other people.  May I also point out that when people here "disagree" with you 99% of the time they're trying to help you.

She clearly doesn't want help.

Her profile stocking I assume is the truth behind the inconsistencies:
5 gallon: 3 goldfish, 4 female bettas.
1 gallon: male Veiltail betta
1gallon: male veiltail betta
1 gallon: male crowntail betta
1 gallon: female crowntail betta

Goldfish in with the Bettas 
unsure.png

SeaGoddess - may I ask why you are on this forum? Is it advice or?

If I were to provide some constructive feedback seagoddess (although I think i have said it elsewhere)

Horse trough: i am not going to disagree here. I do not know enough about the effects the animals or the fish but I have seen this in the past somewhere before as being relatively common place. Here the fish are work tools and not pets.

Right now however, your tank size was the reason for your fishes ill health after your 3 day trip. I would bargain that had you put the food block in, all 3 would almost certainly have been dead on your return.

Can I just comment a moment.

My Betta, Oliver, spent three weeks in a 1 litre, unfiltered, unheated tank.
It almost killed him.
I almost killed him.

Not only did the ammonia levels hit the roof, he then spent the next six weeks severely depressed (Yes, fish can become depressed) when I moved him to a 60 litre tank.
Now? He's the happiest fish alive in a 28litre, filtered, heated tank.

SeaGoddess said:
Ya I will probably just chuck them in my horse pond. So they can feed the cat fish lol

Sorry - do you mean you're going to feed your goldfish to your catfish? Or did I read that wrong?

ReiRei said:
Can I just comment a moment.

My Betta, Oliver, spent three weeks in a 1 litre, unfiltered, unheated tank.
It almost killed him.
I almost killed him.

Not only did the ammonia levels hit the roof, he then spent the next six weeks severely depressed (Yes, fish can become depressed) when I moved him to a 60 litre tank.
Now? He's the happiest fish alive in a 28litre, filtered, heated tank.

Sorry - do you mean you're going to feed your goldfish to your catfish? Or did I read that wrong?

I'm not quite sure where the catfish come from either :S

Most reactions

trending

Back