Well My Goldfish Made It Through The Night.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

LeahMay said:
Wasn't going to involve myself with this post but a do believe you have become rather malicious with responses towards the lady who created this thread. I am by no means a mod on this site but they're are much better ways to get your point across. Until humans can effectively talk to fish all we can do is merely try to improvise an environment we believe they will enjoy and we can enjoy with them. This for obvious reasons brings about differences and I understand you all have the health of the animal at heart but some of your response are phrased very harshly and somewhat upsetting. There is nothing worse than knowing you've not got everything perfect and then being lectured by 5 random strangers. This site should be for encouragement and reccomendations not to lay into someone because they've not got it right.
Although I do understand where you are coming from, I feel the OP needed a bit of a reality check.  The OP was also also being quite snippy and demeaning toward anyone trying to help.  I am all about helping others which you can easily see by the other posts that I have made.  I have no issue with helping someone and try to be as nice as possible.  I will not however apologize for being overly blunt with this OP.

I think peoples frustration in these posts is from the OP's resignation that they are right and the majority of this sites contributers are wrong. Not much gets a person more irate than being told they are wrong when they know they are right, in which case both sides here believe that they are right. However, how many times do you need to meet people who stink of doggie doo before you realise it is on your feet, is the question to be asked?

I would be surprised if the OP does continue to read these or come back, they seem quite assured that their knowledge is correct. If they will not get agreement to that knowledge or be willing to have an open mind when several people contest said knowledge I doubt they will find the site useful, never mind the harsh words and laying in.

I believe in open and frank honesty, or keep quiet. Here the OP is either a complete liar and/or troll (previous posts can possibly support this due to many inconsistencies) or entirely uneducated in recent fish-keeping theories for their chosen fish. This is not said to hurt the OP feelings or be cruel, but it is entirely unambiguous in meaning.

Wildbetta, I did not find your post to be one of the problematic ones here, you clearly showed what was wrong and provided some facts about the fish so she can choose to better herself. I did not write my previous post in hope you would all cower down and apologise but more to offer a hand out to the lady who posted the thread as she probably feels a little backed into a corner and to point out that there are better ways of doing things and putting a point across. Unless you personally know the OP she could be a 10yr old girl or an 90yr old lady (or any age inbetween) but you see my point, we do not know who our audience is and so being demoralizing without giving information relevent to the situation can be distressing for the OP who may well know its not perfect but hasn't been able to find the correct information out there.

LeahMay -- I understand where you are coming from.  :)  I try my hardest to help anyone that needs it especially when it concerns fish that I actually have first hand knowledge of.  Sorry if I took your comment personally.  I get a bit "defensive" when someone talks about keeping bettas like that since it is some of the things I try so hard to reeducate people against doing.  

I do hope that the OP comes back and is able to learn from this community a better way to keep their fish.  :)

I was unnecessarily flippant and I did regret that but was too late to edit.

I do still object to the rudeness of attitude shown by the OP to other posters though.

I do also suspect that the OP is not entirely genuine....

JenJ said:
I do also suspect that the OP is not entirely genuine....
Yes I agree from being involved in her other post. Something isn't quite right but for being told I speak bull I think I could've reacted worse. Then again I could've reacted more maturely and admit to biting back a little hard but so do most when rubbed the wrong way.

Actually I have been here for several years and my other account got messed up so I had to create a new one.

SeaGoddess said:
Actually I have been here for several years and my other account got messed up so I had to create a new one.
Appreciated. Personally I would NOT have squeeked a hoot about keeping fish in a 0.5 gallon tank if I had been on these forums for a few months. Heck even now I can get grief on my stocking of my 4' tank and that is a debatable account as it depends on the "rule of thumb" that you use to tell if it is overstocked, not including the filtration volume and turnover. One way, yes it is. Another, not its not. Add the filter volume and its just under. For some, just under is wrong.

This hobby is full of difference in opinion. The question I ask is how different is my opinion? A little or a lot?

Oh I know I don't understand why people get so upset. My bettas have lived for several years. Ya I know I was only doing that for a few days to get them bigger and stronger. Because I want them to be in shape for a tank with multiple fish in it. It's just something I like to do to ensure their safety. 

SeaGoddess said:
Oh I know I don't understand why people get so upset. My bettas have lived for several years. Ya I know I was only doing that for a few days to get them bigger and stronger. Because I want them to be in shape for a tank with multiple fish in it. It's just something I like to do to ensure their safety. 

So what is the long term plan for your fish?  What is the tank size that they will eventually go into if this was just for a couple of days?  Are your goldfish going into a tank of around 50 gallons by themselves?  Are the male bettas going to be going to tanks of at least 2.5 gallons ea and the females going into a 10 gallon?  

People get upset because you are not keeping your fish in the best conditions possible and the comments about the fact that they are bettas and can live in such ways because they breathe surface air is not correct.  People do not keep paradise fish or gourmanis in this manner and yet they have the same method of breathing from the surface.  

Everyone has different opinions and I can tell you right now my opinion won't be yours. So let's just not fuss over it and get on with our lives. :)

Fair enough but don't be surprised when no one agrees with the method you are using to keep your fish.

Wait... did I just see "goldfish in a 10gal"? O.O

1 Goldfish requires no less than 20 US gallons, and 2 need AT LEAST a 30gal.... Goldfish don't grow to the size of their environment, their organs will continue to grow and will kill them if not kept in an appropriate tank. It's our responsibility as care givers to these animals to provide them with what they need to thrive, if you do not have the means to care for them properly then you need to find them a home where they can be taken care of. Goldfish are related to Koi, and they grow to be quite large and can live for over 20 years, wouldn't you want them to have long and happy lives? You should do the right thing and either invest in a tank that can sustain them at their full size or rehome them.

Store bought goldfish compared to full size growth potential:
adultgoldfish01.jpg

I would tell you what I was planning on doing with them but you guys would freak out.. lol

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back