Well My Goldfish Made It Through The Night.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

i actually own a betta, and have done for 6 months, he is in a 28L fully cycled tank, with filtration and heater, im not sure where your getting your infomation from, but its wrong, and your fish are suffering.

Like I said I only did this for a week they are now in a 5 gal. with a bubbler and filter. Ughhhhh

SeaGoddess said:
Like I said I only did this for a week they are now in a 5 gal. with a bubbler and filter. Ughhhhh

So every one of your Bettas is in it's own separate 5g tank?

Why do you use a 'bubbler' if they don't need oxygen because of their prehistoric lungs?

I have looked it up and done plenty of research on this forum, across the net, in magazines and in books.
Only because they can be kept in abysmal conditions doesn't mean they should.

What are you upgrading your Goldfish into?

I have owned bettas for 4 years. They don't need filters. They have a prehistoric lung and prefer no filters. I know that I am right. Things may be different in europe. I apologize that you have to get so upset about things.

Later the goldfish will be in a ten. And no when I have set everything up properly I will have 4 bettas each with their own 1 gallon tank and 4 in my 5 gallon.

I use the bubbler because I have the goldfish in there right now I will be removing that later. Ughhhh
I have said all I am going to say. I will not wast my time on a load of bullcrap.

gold fish need to be in a 100L tank at least, just for 1 goldfish. 50L for each extra one, so you need a 200L tank for the goldfish, period.

SeaGoddess said:
I have owned bettas for 4 years. They don't need filters. They have a prehistoric lung and prefer no filters. I know that I am right. Things may be different in europe. I apologize that you have to get so upset about things.

Later the goldfish will be in a ten. And no when I have set everything up properly I will have 4 bettas each with their own 1 gallon tank and 4 in my 5 gallon.

I use the bubbler because I have the goldfish in there right now I will be removing that later. Ughhhh

I have said all I am going to say. I will not wast my time on a load of bullcrap.

It's not a 'Europe' thing - it's a Tropical Fish Forum thing.
You'll find I won't be the only one who gets upset over these sort of things here.

Needless cruelty.

I will repeat - you are keeping Bettas and Goldfish together?!

And ok, but I hope our words might sink in later. Please mind your language - it's still called the Labyrinth Organ, sounds more 'Betta Expert' than prehistoric lung.  

I have to second all that Sophie has just stated. Please do some serious research. What sources have you been using? Perhaps it is time to look into some more updated sources. 

By the way, no one is trying to attack you. We are merely interested in the well-being of your fish. We also are curious to know the sources of your information so that perhaps we may learn something, too. This is a peaceful forum, and I believe I can speak on the behalf of everyone here when I say that everyone just needs to calm down a bit, take a deep breath, and realize that no one is out to hurt anyone else.

Also please keep in mind, that none of your stocking seems to be working. Your goldfish need a much larger tank, as do all of your betta fish. Where in the states are you located? I have a six gallon tank with a filter (needs to be cycled again as I let the bacteria die off after the last fish died in a tragic accident) that I could donate to you. I have used it successfully with betta fish before. They are excellent species, quite hardy, but they do in fact require clean water free of ammonia and nitrite, which is what the filter is supposed to do. Having a filter replaces the need for daily 100% water changes.

Coming from someone in the US since apparently you think europeans take care of fish differently, they are correct. Bettas are just like any other fish and require the same treatment. Just because you have had them for four years doesnt mean much. Hopefully these are your only bettas since 4 years is no where close to the lifespan of a betta.

As for the goldfish I hope you intend on upgrading to at least a 40/55 gallon, and those dont need heaters, though it wouldnt hurt to have one.

also I would like to see your sources for all your information. Theres no need to get upset

Wow. Welcome to the forum. You may like to take some time reading other peoples posts to get an idea of the generally accepted etiquette.

ps - filters are about removing fish waste, nothing to do with the lungs. I presume your bettas do produce waste, or do they not live long enough for that?

As attibones said, the most important function of a filter is to remove toxins such as ammonia and nitrite which their 'prehistoric lungs?' can not protect them from.
You are however right in saying that they require very little water movement and well done for at least heating your tanks (containers)
but your bettas will need more space than what you are providing them with in order to thrive (5 gallon each minimum)
As for your goldfish, i suggest you invest in a proper aquarium which is at least 150cm long. I understand that an aquarium of this size is both expensive and space consuming but if you can not afford to provide the adequate care for your pets then you should not have them!
We may be coming across as a bit harsh but we only have your pets best interests at heart so please listen to us.
We don't blame you personally as there is a lot of false information out there about bettas and goldfish.

Ya sorry I've been tired lately... Ya I can't do pics for some reason it tells me that the files are too big. I have 6 tanks. I have 4 1 gallons, a 5 gallon, and a half gallon. I use the 5 gallon for three small goldfish. I use 3 of my 1 gallons for my 3 males. I have 2 veiltails and 1 crowntail male. Then I use my other 1 gallon to house 3 female bettas 1 veiltail and 2 crowntail females. THIS IS ONLY TEMPORARY DO NOT put 3 fish in a 1 gallon 2 is fine but 3 is pushing it the third fish is only to cut down o bullying until they are all used to each other. I had 2 in the half gallon for about a week. ALSO TEMPORARY. I bought them small and I didn't want my bigger females to beat them up and/or kill them. I put them in the 5 gallon today. That is how I operate. I will be breeding in the fall. If you are going to go with the large tank with multiple dividers that is fine too, But if they are males don't use glass dividers. I know a lot of people do, but it stresses out the fish and they won't live long. Also if the dividers have holes in them so that the water can pass through Be careful about filters! Certain breeds of bettas can't stand up to the current and will die. These breeds are halfmoons, and doubletails. Just beware and be sure to take note if you use a filter the type of fish you are getting. Otherwise divided tanks work great! So enjoy!

First thing I have to say is I hope you do not start breeding.  You have ALOT to learn about keeping fish before you start breeding.  Your tanks are too small and way overstocked right now.  The glass dividers do not cause any more undue stress than holding a mirror up in front of one of the males for most bettas.  Filters are not a reason for a betta to die either.  Divided tanks are some of the best ways to house multiple betta fish.

no of course the half gallon isn't filtered they are bettas...duh. Anyway it was only temporary trust me I know I have had it happen before. They will beat each other up in the beginning. and I only had them in there a week they grew fast.

This comment really shows how much you need to learn and how little you really know about bettas.  Bettas do just fine -- actually they do really good in filtered tanks. 

No lol. Do you know anything about bettas. I mean no offense, but if you did you would know that bettas have prehistoric lungs and prefer no filtration. And yes in the 1/2 gallon I was doing full water changes everyday. Goodness you obviously need some more experience.

The only good I can say here is that you are at least doing daily 100% water changes.  Bettas "lungs" are not prehistoric.  They have adapted to live in very low oxygenated water in the tropics. The water there which has a slow flow and high temperature makes it harder to get oxygen in the water column.  The labryinth organ allows them to breath from the surface of the water.  This doesn't mean they prefer no filtration or that it will kill them. 

Goodness you obviously need some more experience.

I feel sorry for your bettas that you have kept for 4 yrs previously.  Your female bettas require at least a 10 gallon to be kept together and you need at least 6 females to make the sorority successful.  Your male bettas need bigger accommodations as well to be happy and healthy.

Your goldfish (seeing that they are feeder goldfish = comet goldfish) will reach upwards of 2ft ea when full grown and you need a tank of at least 50 gallons with heavy filtration to keep them at least partial healthy.  The goldfish should not be housed with the bettas because goldfish need cold water and bettas need tropical warm water.  There really is no "middle ground" with the two species.  

Personally with the way your fish are kept, I am surprised they are alive.  The fact that they are shows how "tough" the fish are.  Living is not the same thing as thriving.  Fish will live through all sorts of cruel treatment but only truely thrive with correct treatment.

If you wonder-- I have kept bettas (almost exclusively) for over 3 yrs and have bred for over a year.  I kept several sororities (groups of female bettas) successfully as well.  So I DO have the experience and knowledge to support everything I have said in this post.

Wasn't going to involve myself with this post but a do believe you have become rather malicious with responses towards the lady who created this thread. I am by no means a mod on this site but they're are much better ways to get your point across. Until humans can effectively talk to fish all we can do is merely try to improvise an environment we believe they will enjoy and we can enjoy with them. This for obvious reasons brings about differences and I understand you all have the health of the animal at heart but some of your response are phrased very harshly and somewhat upsetting. There is nothing worse than knowing you've not got everything perfect and then being lectured by 5 random strangers. This site should be for encouragement and reccomendations not to lay into someone because they've not got it right.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back