lavathebetta

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Tank size: 10 gallons
tank age: 3 months
pH: 7.2
ammonia: 0
nitrite: 0
nitrate: 0 (which is weird, i have a heavily planted tank, but i was doing daily 20% water changes, you'll understand as i explain it later in this post)
kH: don't have a kit for this
gH: don't have a kit for this
tank temp: 76F (which is too low, heater sucks and i'm getting an new one on Wednesday)

Fish Symptoms (include full description including lesion, color, location, fish behavior): so 3 weeks ago i noticed weird white spots on my corydora that were not fungal or anything. some suggested it was mucus, others said burns. regardless i treated with salt and 20% daily water changes for 2 weeks now. earlier this week it seemed like the white spot was coming off, kinda flaking off slowly. now in one of the spots there is a literal hole in his side (view the pics). i've had him since July. he is eating and never really was rubbing on the side of the tank or rocks like he had a parasite but i did notice him swimming kinda weirdly sometimes (but this was my first time with corydoras and i may have just imagined it a bit). he would kinda favor the other side that the white stuff was not on if that makes sense.

Volume and Frequency of water changes: usually 30% once a week, i was doing 20% daily and adding in aquarium salt as this is what i was instructed to do as explained above, lmk if you need clarification on this

Chemical Additives or Media in your tank: was adding pimafix, learned it was harmful and stopped. added in carbon media to start removing it. going to do a water change tomorrow to get rid of it as well.

Tank inhabitants: 3 corydoras, 2 male endlers

Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration): none

Exposure to chemicals: just the pimafix

Digital photo (include if possible):
corydora hole 3.jpg
corydora hole 2.jpg
corydora hole 1.jpg

thank you so much! i really appreciate it!
Ofc. I'm not to disease savvy myself but there are plenty of people here who are. I'm glad you stopped using chemical treatments, especially on corydoras (they can be sensitive little squirts!). Good call :thumbs:

Ofc. I'm not to disease savvy myself but there are plenty of people here who are. I'm glad you stopped using chemical treatments, especially on corydoras (they can be sensitive little squirts!). Good call :thumbs:

thanks again! i have some knowledge in treating basic diseases but this really stumped me and a lot of other people on multiple different forums when it was just the white spots, and now things have gotten a bit crazy lol. hopefully someone has an answer!

I think it looks like a burn mark off your heater

someone else said that, but it's been around for 3 weeks and now there is a indentation/hole. i just ordered paraguard which treats fungal, bacterial and parasitic infections which gets here wednesday, so hopefully that helps. i've also been treating with aquarium salt. does this sound like a burn to you? would the skin fall off like that?

Just like a burn you get, blisters then mends, it takes time

got it, thank you. i'll treat with paraguard anyways to avoid any infection and if it is fungal or bacterial, then that should help too.

I want to suspect at this point this is bacterial. Id treat for sure with the antibiotics, but be sure to read the package if it is scaleless fish safe or if it calls for a half dose. Cories are scaleless

Btw your temperature is perfect for both the cory and endless.

Bronze cories temp range is 68-80F so you are all set.

I want to suspect at this point this is bacterial. Id treat for sure with the antibiotics, but be sure to read the package if it is scaleless fish safe or if it calls for a half dose. Cories are scaleless

Btw your temperature is perfect for both the cory and endless.

Bronze cories temp range is 68-80F so you are all set.

i got paraguard which treats fungus and bacterial infections. it arrives wednesday. i read the amazon reviews and most people said their corydoras were fine, so i went ahead and bought it. one person said to do 3/4 of the dose, so i'll just be careful with the dosage. thank you! i've added a bit more of salt (i've been very careful with this) to the tank so as to maybe help him out a little while i wait for the meds to get here as like i said i can't get out to the store.

It looks like excess mucous over a wound. I would try salt (2 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres) and 75% daily water changes and gravel cleans for a week before chemicals. If there's no improvement after a few days of salt, then use chemicals.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back