Weird string hanging from the wall of my tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

duddles

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm sure there's someone here that has seen this before? Over the weekend little strings have started forming off my glass - is this algae or something I should not worry about?

tempImagewAduZB.jpg

Does the tank have quite a low flow? Tanks with not much current very commonly have an Epistylis presence. Epistylis is normally a harmless protozoan that feeds on bacteria. It’s often to be found on the glass in areas of low flow. This looks to be living in tiny scratches on the glass.
If fish get stressed and acquire a bacterial skin infection, the epistylis can transfer to the skin of the fish (looking like little tufty white spots). They don’t mean any harm to the fish but their method of holding on involves sending filaments into the flesh to hold on, so fish can be damaged.
If you want rid of it use a treatment for protozoans.

Does the tank have quite a low flow? Tanks with not much current very commonly have an Epistylis presence. Epistylis is normally a harmless protozoan that feeds on bacteria. It’s often to be found on the glass in areas of low flow. This looks to be living in tiny scratches on the glass.
If fish get stressed and acquire a bacterial skin infection, the epistylis can transfer to the skin of the fish (looking like little tufty white spots). They don’t mean any harm to the fish but their method of holding on involves sending filaments into the flesh to hold on, so fish can be damaged.
If you want rid of it use a treatment for protozoans.
Thank you for your help!
A search tells me that to treat protozoans is through the use of copper sulphate. Would this be suitable? https://www.bunnings.com.au/manutec-500g-copper-sulphate-soluble_p2961523

Thank you for your help!
A search tells me that to treat protozoans is through the use of copper sulphate. Would this be suitable? https://www.bunnings.com.au/manutec-500g-copper-sulphate-soluble_p2961523

I have no idea, as I only ever use off-the-shelf fish medications (ie Protozin). Copper is very toxic to fish, and fish medications use chelated copper which is less toxic.
Copper is more toxic in soft water, and tolerance varies between species. Do not use with inverts (eg snails and shrimp). :)

Hi and welcome to TFF... :hi:
Tanks with not much current very commonly have an Epistylis presence. Epistylis is normally a harmless protozoan that feeds on bacteria. It’s often to be found on the glass in areas of low flow.
Correct... 👍

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back