Weird "Spots"

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Winterlily

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
A week ago, I lost a male betta to something unknown - columnaris or something bacterial (or not) - no idea. (If you care to, the link to that whole thing is here.) I have 2 other male bettas, each in their own tank. I'm reasonably careful with shared supplies like siphons (and of course did NOT share ANYthing once the one became ill), but I certainly didn't bleach or anything between cleaning each tank. Now, the guy in the next tank has some weird looking things on him. Not sure if this is the beginning of something like columnaris, or it's just scales changing color, or something else completely. Below is a whole bunch of pictures - best I could do - he's very active and wouldn't stop for a photo.

He's acting totally normally and eating. He does not flick or rub or anything like that. Water is perfect (0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 5 nitrate), pH 7.7, temp about 78-79, filtered, heated, 5.5 gallon planted tank.

I need to worry about this? (I think you can click each pic to make it BIG to see better.)
4d8129c5.jpg

b5a90a95.jpg

919ec978.jpg

I left the reflection here because you can actually see more in the upper one:
98e7e948.jpg

What do you think here?

Have you tryed a bacterial med.
He look in bad condition.
Are you using anything in the tank that's irratating his skin.

If there no parasite symtoms all you can do is take the bacterial route.

I would also find out if a lfs near you does skin scrapes.

Hi Wilder,

The fish (light colored with orange markings on fins) in the photos in THIS thread looks in bad shape?? How come? I was asking only about the little white spots (arrows pointing to it in the first picture) - I didn't think he looked in bad shape at all otherwise? <now worried> I'm hoping you were actually looking at the red and purple fish in the link (he died last week)??

Whats your location for a med.

This med will knock water stats or even wipe the beneifical bacteria out completely.
Maracyn plus, or maracyn one and two.

So you think those 2 small light spots are something bacterial starting rather than scales changing color or something?

You say the fish is not showing any parasites signs so it points more towards bacterial.
White edging around scales can be columnaris.

Okay - thanks Wilder. Will treat with Maracyn and Maracyn 2 then (Still have a bunch from the other fish that I didn't get to use.) Bleh.

Thanks again.

Let me know how he gets on bless him.
Good Luck.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back