Weird Platy/Molly mouth

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Carolyn N

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
At Petco I was given 4 baby livebearers. I was told they were Platys. They were newborn. I put them in a 3 gal quarantine tank.
They had really funny looking mouths. Wide open all the time. Attached are some photos. They all eventually died. Two from being bullied. I don't know what happened to the first two. Has anyone ever seen fish with mouths like this? They were never closed.
Platy 1.jpg
Platy 2.jpg
Platy 3.jpg

Attachments

• Platy 2.jpg
    Platy 2.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 166
It's a genetic defect, the fish are duds and should have been euthanised when it was first noticed but they didn't. That's why the shop gave them to you.

Were their mouths like this when you got them?

And its not always true a shop will give fry away just because theyre defective.
My petsmart gives fry away free sometimes just because theyre really small and either the employees bring them home to raise or they give them to customers who want them.

Theyve given me a free guppy fry and a free cory fry who are perfectly healthy and normal.

Not always shady intentions.

Yes, the mouths were like that when I got them. They were really tiny, only a few days old. The sales girl had just given some to a little girl and her father. She was so excited. I asked to see and then asked the salesgirl is there were any more that I could have. She found 4 more.I don't think she knew there was anything wrong with them. They were hiding in a tank full of large platys and ??? don't remember what the other fish were.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back