Weird Kribensis Behaviour

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Seal36

Fishaholic
Reaction score
My kribensis have laid eggs and they are in a tank on their own, I can see the eggs and they are a tan colour so I know they have been fertilized but the weird thing is that the female does not spend all her time in there and goes for a swin around the tank and then goes in and fans the eggs with her mouth. Is this normal as she did not do it with her first spawn but then she was in a community tank rather than one on her own and also the male does not guard the nest site unless the female is in with the eggs he is a first time father so is this inexperience or is it because they feel that there is no threat to the eggs so they don't need to guard them thanks for your help

They'll guard the eggs from any threts so if there is nothing in the tank to threaten them they don't need to hover over them all the time. Sounds normal behaviour to me.

Ok thank you very much and also the male has lost his colour now that the eggs have been laid is that normal and when the female is out of the pipe where the eggs are laid she is pushing the male towards the pipe do you think she is trying to teach him how to guard the area around the eggs and how to be a proper father for In case they are ever in a situation where they need to protect the area

Maybe. Can't be sure though, my pair were fantastic parents. From the get go, the female would stay with the eggs whilst the male cruised around the tank. They were in a 20 gallon by themselves any they never got lazy.

I always think it's best to just let them do what they want to. No point in removing eggs to artificially hatch them IMO.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back