Weird cloudy layer in Guppy Tanks

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Ah! This is a different matter then, that filter should be cycled then! Forget about transferring sludge or substrate :)

Possibly an ammonia spike from moving to the ten gallon, how large was the outdoor tub, and how many fish did you move into the ten gallon?
The outdoor tank was 30 gallons I believe. I breed and sell my guppies. I use to have 50 plus fish but got a snail infestation.. So i got yoyo loaches but ended up with a gosh cannibalism massacre. They killed off more than half my fish and i was left with less than a dozen. I ended up putting around 10 in the ten gallon. Then when the babies were born I moved them over into the new “nursery.”

The outdoor tank was 30 gallons I believe. I breed and sell my guppies. I use to have 50 plus fish but got a snail infestation.. So i got yoyo loaches but ended up with a gosh cannibalism massacre. They killed off more than half my fish and i was left with less than a dozen. I ended up putting around 10 in the ten gallon. Then when the babies were born I moved them over into the new “nursery.”
Yikes! I love yoyos, but yes, they're not easy, need a huge tank and the right numbers or they can be devils. An employee in my fish store told me that his yoyos ganged up and killed one of his oscars :eek:

I'm sorry to hear you've had such a rough time of it. It goes like that sometimes, sadly. I went through a bad few months recently too, where it seemed to be one thing after another, but now I seem to be out the other side *touch wood* and things are breeding and thriving again. You'll turn that corner again too.

Since you transferred everything including the filter, I should have thought the 10 gallon could support ten guppies, so this is a bit of a mystery I'm afraid. It's very late here and I have to go to bed too, but for now, keep on top of the water changes, and that should hopefully hold things over while we all put our heads together and figure it out!

Yikes! I love yoyos, but yes, they're not easy, need a huge tank and the right numbers or they can be devils. An employee in my fish store told me that his yoyos ganged up and killed one of his oscars :eek:

I'm sorry to hear you've had such a rough time of it. It goes like that sometimes, sadly. I went through a bad few months recently too, where it seemed to be one thing after another, but now I seem to be out the other side *touch wood* and things are breeding and thriving again. You'll turn that corner again too.

Since you transferred everything including the filter, I should have thought the 10 gallon could support ten guppies, so this is a bit of a mystery I'm afraid. It's very late here and I have to go to bed too, but for now, keep on top of the water changes, and that should hopefully hold things over while we all put our heads together and figure it out!
Thank you so much! You’ve all been such a great help and super knowledgeable! I’m only 17 and have been doing these things all on my own so I really look up to everyone here. Hopefully I’ll get to where you all are one day. :’)

Thank you so much! You’ve all been such a great help and super knowledgeable! I’m only 17 and have been doing these things all on my own so I really look up to everyone here. Hopefully I’ll get to where you all are one day. :’)
Hey, you've already bred and sold your guppies, you're way ahead of where I was at 17 :D

You should hang around the forums, it's always good to be able to share with other hobbyists, a lot of us don't have people in real life who understand the stresses and joys of the hobby, so being able to share with people who do, both the good and the bad, helps!

Have a good night, I'm going to hit the hay, but will check in again tomorrow.

I'm afraid it is possible that something happened when transferring stuff across that reset the cycle.
When did you add your dechlorinator to the tank water? And what do you rinse the sponges in?
As that's about the only thing left I can think off.

Wouldn’t a bloom fill the whole tank rather than produce a substance heavier than water? I’ve never seen that before. Seems odd that you can swirl it around without it dissolving in any waymane then it settles at the bottom of the tank and the water is clear above it.lol.

Wouldn’t a bloom fill the whole tank rather than produce a substance heavier than water? I’ve never seen that before. Seems odd that you can swirl it around without it dissolving in any waymane then it settles at the bottom of the tank and the water is clear above it.lol.
Ye I agree. I did a lot of research on dead zones for an end of term paper and this isn't really how it goes. Like lumpfish said, they occur on a massive scale in the oceans due to fertilizer runoff causing a massive population explosion of bacteria and microorganisms that will feed on the fertilizer, effectively consuming all the oxygen. This means that without a huge source of nutrients, a bloom couldn't form in one day. That being said I also don't think that it's bio-film (the stuff that comes of wood, like lumpfish said) because that too is a syntrophic group of microorganisms eating the left over nutrients in the wood, and it being a film, it wouldn't settle after swirling it around. Honestly my best guess is that in a un-cycled tank you might've over fed and there wasn't enough bacteria to handle the excess food, leading to it deteriorating, and staying at the bottom due to its density, thus leading to the spike in ammonia that is killing your fish. As other members have said, water changes are the only thing you can do till the tank is cycled.

Ye I agree. I did a lot of research on dead zones for an end of term paper and this isn't really how it goes. Like lumpfish said, they occur on a massive scale in the oceans due to fertilizer runoff causing a massive population explosion of bacteria and microorganisms that will feed on the fertilizer, effectively consuming all the oxygen. This means that without a huge source of nutrients, a bloom couldn't form in one day. That being said I also don't think that it's bio-film (the stuff that comes of wood, like lumpfish said) because that too is a syntrophic group of microorganisms eating the left over nutrients in the wood, and it being a film, it wouldn't settle after swirling it around. Honestly my best guess is that in a un-cycled tank you might've over fed and there wasn't enough bacteria to handle the excess food, leading to it deteriorating, and staying at the bottom due to its density, thus leading to the spike in ammonia that is killing your fish. As other members have said, water changes are the only thing you can do till the tank is cycled.
I too thought an aquarium was too small to form thermoclines, but with it appearing below the heater and filter etc I can't see anything else causing it, but without being present with test equipment it's a guess at best.

I too thought an aquarium was too small to form thermoclines, but with it appearing below the heater and filter etc I can't see anything else causing it, but without being present with test equipment it's a guess at best.
Ye, it's really something. Well hopefully we figure this out, it's really interesting. A thermocline definitely has the potential to cause a hypoxic zone. Maybe OP can try testing the temp of the water, and giving us some info on the heater they're using.

I just woke up to this

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 51
That's weird. Looks like a bloom now. I agree, water changes, water changes, water changes.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back