Weird cloudy layer in Guppy Tanks

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
The sudden deaths and the redness, I'm suspecting ammonia and nitrite poisoning I'm afraid.

The sudden deaths and the redness, I'm suspecting ammonia and nitrite poisoning I'm afraid.
Oh no! I cant remember the exact numbers for the ammonia and nitrite but everything was “okay” from what I read. Maybe I didn’t have a good kit but i’ll definitely invest in the one mentioned above. That would explain the issue in the 10 gallon then :(

I rather suspect your tanks aren't cycled.
Large (75-80%) water changes daily would be the way forward for the time being, a test kit as recomended should be gotten and you can start testing once you have it, test daily and change the water when you show any ammonia or nitrite or more than 20ppm nitrate.

It will be a faff for a while, but will settle once each tank gets enough bacteria in the filters and substrate to deal with the fish waste.

Oh no! I cant remember the exact numbers for the ammonia and nitrite but everything was “okay” from what I read. Maybe I didn’t have a good kit but i’ll definitely invest in the one mentioned above. That would explain the issue in the 10 gallon then :(
I might not be right, but new set ups, and the redness... possible.

Was it dip strips you're using? The filter in the ten gallon, was that new as well?

The tub outside that they were in is likely coated in BB. Reckon it's worth trying to transfer some of that, @kwi ?

Maybe if there's substrate out there? I'd even take some filter sponge and wipe it over the outdoor tubs inner walls. Good chance of transferring some BB

The tub outside that they were in is likely coated in BB. Reckon it's worth trying to transfer some of that, @kwi ?

Maybe if there's substrate out there? I'd even take some filter sponge and wipe it over the outdoor tubs inner walls. Good chance of transferring some BB
That certainly wouldn't do any harm.

Even though this mainly deals with doing a fishless cycle it does lead with the Nitrogen cycle and will give you an understanding of what is happening in each tank.

I rather suspect your tanks aren't cycled.
Large (75-80%) water changes daily would be the way forward for the time being, a test kit as recomended should be gotten and you can start testing once you have it, test daily and change the water when you show any ammonia or nitrite or more than 20ppm nitrate.

It will be a faff for a while, but will settle once each tank gets enough bacteria in the filters and substrate to deal with the fish waste.
Yes I’ve been doing that since I noticed the issues! Glad to know I’m doing something right lol.

Reactions: kwi
Get your filter running and airstones going and keep up with the water changes, start testing as soon as you can. It will be a pain for a while but at least the tanks are both small.

It's 1am and my wine bottle is empty so I'm for bed............

I'd recommend doing a 75% water change on the ten gallon as soon as possible, make sure the new water is the same temperature as the tank, and that you've added the right amount of water conditioner.

Then, is the outdoor tub that they were in still set up? Is there gravel or anything on the bottom of that tub? I'd move some of that into the tank, putting it into a mesh bag if you prefer not to mix it with the tanks substrate. I'd even take a big dollop of sludge from the tub, and add it to both filters. That should help seed both tanks with the nitrifying bacteria needed to process the fish waste, and get the tanks cycled faster.

Again, I am very sorry for your losses, hopefully we can help save the rest of the fish though, and you'll have more guppy fry coming along very soon I'm sure!

I might not be right, but new set ups, and the redness... possible.

Was it dip strips you're using? The filter in the ten gallon, was that new as well?
Yes I was using dip strips! And the filter for the 10 gallon was the same sponge filter I’ve been using the past year. I always rinse one sponge during water changes and leave the other for the good bacteria.

I'd recommend doing a 75% water change on the ten gallon as soon as possible, make sure the new water is the same temperature as the tank, and that you've added the right amount of water conditioner.

Then, is the outdoor tub that they were in still set up? Is there gravel or anything on the bottom of that tub? I'd move some of that into the tank, putting it into a mesh bag if you prefer not to mix it with the tanks substrate. I'd even take a big dollop of sludge from the tub, and add it to both filters. That should help seed both tanks with the nitrifying bacteria needed to process the fish waste, and get the tanks cycled faster.

Again, I am very sorry for your losses, hopefully we can help save the rest of the fish though, and you'll have more guppy fry coming along very soon I'm sure!
I used everything from the outdoor tank for the 10 gallon! I figured it would be beneficial but then when all this happened .. Lots of questions

Yes I was using dip strips! And the filter for the 10 gallon was the same sponge filter I’ve been using the past year. I always rinse one sponge during water changes and leave the other for the good bacteria.
Ah! This is a different matter then, that filter should be cycled then! Forget about transferring sludge or substrate :)

Possibly an ammonia spike from moving to the ten gallon, how large was the outdoor tub, and how many fish did you move into the ten gallon?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back