Weighing For Ei Method

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
ok so if theres lots of warnings id adhere to them, im a newb at the end of the day.
If your worried dont use the scales for any other use, but aslong as you keep the chemicals in their own pot and are careful with handling youl be fine

both of them should be safe. From my basic level of chemistry, (C at AS level... so i suck)

K2SO4 (potassium sulphate) Is stable in its dry form. I believe when it contacts water, it might fizz a bit. I would advise you minimise the contact between your skin and the stuff though. There should be no normal potassium present in the mix as straight potassium will burn in normal oxygen
Me and my mates used to "liberate" all the science stuff to do all the experiments my teacher didnt want us to do and once this clown took some potassium and covered it in oil, then put it in a tissue and left it in his blazer. Then it started raining and his jacket gotburned through lol!

Potassium phosphate i believe is acidic so avoid contact with your hands, especially if they are wet. If you do touch it, pour anything alkali such as milk i think to counter it. Do not rinse under water, you will just feed the burning.

Chemistry lesson 1: Substances are only acid or alkali in liquid form (i think its when mixed with water speciffically) Even with dry hands, you still release sweat which acts as water and can cause a reaction with solid substances to become acid or alkali. So dont touch it :p I think when acids are in their pure form as acids, they are non-reactive and theoretically, if you were to not have any water on your arms, you could put it straight in the water and not be affected at all.

no idea about the trace elements.

ok so if theres lots of warnings id adhere to them, im a newb at the end of the day.
If your worried dont use the scales for any other use, but aslong as you keep the chemicals in their own pot and are careful with handling youl be fine

Arrrggg!

*adds gas mask and latex gloves to list of things to buy**

both of them should be safe. From my basic level of chemistry, (C at AS level... so i suck)

K2SO4 (potassium sulphate) Is stable in its dry form. I believe when it contacts water, it might fizz a bit. I would advise you minimise the contact between your skin and the stuff though. There should be no normal potassium present in the mix as straight potassium will burn in normal oxygen
Me and my mates used to "liberate" all the science stuff to do all the experiments my teacher didnt want us to do and once this clown took some potassium and covered it in oil, then put it in a tissue and left it in his blazer. Then it started raining and his jacket gotburned through lol!

Potassium phosphate i believe is acidic so avoid contact with your hands, especially if they are wet. If you do touch it, pour anything alkali such as milk i think to counter it. Do not rinse under water, you will just feed the burning.

Chemistry lesson 1: Substances are only acid or alkali in liquid form (i think its when mixed with water speciffically) Even with dry hands, you still release sweat which acts as water and can cause a reaction with solid substances to become acid or alkali. So dont touch it :p I think when acids are in their pure form as acids, they are non-reactive and theoretically, if you were to not have any water on your arms, you could put it straight in the water and not be affected at all.

Bloody hell glad i didnt do science A-Level lol.

Arrrggg!

i did a level science got a B at gcse got a d at as level summer holidays make you lazy
i wouldnt bother with latex gloves, just nick the ones from petrol stations :p
think about it this way, if it was dangerous, it wouldnt be readily available

Arrrggg!

i did a level science got a B at gcse got a d at as level summer holidays make you lazy
i wouldnt bother with latex gloves, just nick the ones from petrol stations :p
think about it this way, if it was dangerous, it wouldnt be readily available

i was jokin me luv :p ill risk getting blown up!

not really dangerous but you can use pottasium nitrate to make smoke bombs, you mix it with vaseline and set it alight!! I belive pottasium sulphate can be partly used in fertiliser bombs as well.

And before anyone asks, no I'm not a closet terrorarist. Just recall some information from a disturbed childhood with access to the good ol' jolly rogers cook book!

don't quite know what a terrorarist is cos I can't find it my dictionarary. lol

I think you're all getting carried away here.

Where I work we make garden ferts and we get full 30 tonne loads of bulk pot nit, pot phos and potash. When the tippers offload the product as it is powder, clouds of dust are in the air. People breathe it in, get it on their clothes, get it on their skin.

I don't see any burnt, scalded, lacerated or corroded skin on any of the lads (apart from usual acne ridden YTS. lol)

I don't use gloves at all I just pour some in my scales' tray and then tip more in or out as required.

Also if they were that toxic then they would be harmful to the fish I would've thought!!

Most of these products are only harmful in large quantities (or in particular combinations)

Andy

are you doing ferts for the 125l tank in your profile?

at that size you could just about skip mixing a liquid fert and dosing dry. for a tank that size the dosing would be 1/4th tsp KNO3 and 1/2 tsp K2SO4 3x weekly, 1/16th tsp PO4 3x weekly and a trace mix (CSM+B 1 tsp in 500ml of water, 15ml 3x weekly), cut that in half if you have a low light tank.

you can get little spoons that are pretty good, they're usually labelled "pinch", "smidgen" and "dash", 1/8th, 1/16th, 1/32nd of a tsp measurements.

are you doing ferts for the 125l tank in your profile?

at that size you could just about skip mixing a liquid fert and dosing dry. for a tank that size the dosing would be 1/4th tsp KNO3 and 1/2 tsp K2SO4 3x weekly, 1/16th tsp PO4 3x weekly and a trace mix (CSM+B 1 tsp in 500ml of water, 15ml 3x weekly), cut that in half if you have a low light tank.

you can get little spoons that are pretty good, they're usually labelled "pinch", "smidgen" and "dash", 1/8th, 1/16th, 1/32nd of a tsp measurements.

Id rather dose liquid to be honest, i dont know why but i just feel its more accurate that way. I got some digital scales for a tenner tho so im happy.

My lighting is 2.2WPG so ill be dosing 15Ml KNO3, 8ML KH2PO4 and 3ML trace 3 times per week see how i get on.

Did you buy THIS by any chance. Don't worry, its an eBay link :p OK!

I got one and it arrived today, if so, you will need to calibrate it first.... which takes the Michaels!" On the instructions it says, "Place a 50g weight onto the scales" So i'm like... GREAT! if i had something that could weigh out 50g already then i wouldn't have bought these scales! DUMB $&^*!!"

Neway, if you have bought that 1, then on average, a 2p coin weighs 7.13g according to wikipedia so i used 7 of them totalling 49.91g on average. The coins were the closest thing i found to weights.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Did you buy THIS by any chance. Don't worry, its an eBay link :p OK!

I got one and it arrived today, if so, you will need to calibrate it first.... which takes the Michaels!" On the instructions it says, "Place a 50g weight onto the scales" So i'm like... GREAT! if i had something that could weigh out 50g already then i wouldn't have bought these scales! DUMB $&^*!!"

Neway, if you have bought that 1, then on average, a 2p coin weighs 7.13g according to wikipedia so i used 7 of them totalling 49.91g on average. The coins were the closest thing i found to weights.

no i bought this one!

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back