Weekly water change on the terrace tanks

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Your dad needs to do weights to strengthen the muscles and bones so there is less chance of him falling over and less chance of breaking something if he does fall down. He will have more chance of getting up by himself if he does weights.
All good info, it's true! Don't want to hijack @TwoTankAmin 's thread though. My dad's main issue is balance, he has ulcers in one leg that haven't healed for the last three years or so. District nurses have to dress them three times a week, and he used to walk to and from appointments before the hip thing, now the nurses come to the house. But he's always been an active and fit man throughout his life, walked daily right up until he broke his hip and not one for sitting doing nothing, and that helped a lot when he did break his hip, which was an unfortunate fall sideways onto a concrete step in the garden. :/ However, because he was so active and had strong leg/back/hip muscles from daily walks and activity, he recovered better and faster than most his age do after a hip fracture and replacement. Within a week of the op he was at home, going up and down the stairs even to reach the bathroom and bedroom, only a walker required. He walks up and down the street twice daily now, pushing himself to do more each time. I remind him not to push himself too hard, and remind him how far he's already come when he gets frustrated.

I was terrified when we found out his hip was broken, since I've worked with the elderly before, and well aware that it often means lost mobility, and a rapid downhill decline for many. I'm so grateful and lucky that it hasn't been the case for my dad, and I certainly believe that staying fit and active like you say helps to prevent injuries like that, and also helps you recover if something does happen.

Btw you should be named the EightTankAmin :p
But yeah doing what you like will still keep you active.
Heck my mom is 77 and she still has a garden to brag about her tomatoes and green peppers etc...

All good info, it's true! Don't want to hijack @TwoTankAmin 's thread though.
The info wasn't just for your dad, it was for @TwoTankAmin who has been saying water is getting heavier :), and for everyone else on the planet. There is heaps of evidence that shows people with a low muscle mass die earlier than people with an average muscle mass, and old people die because their bodies don't function properly due to lack of muscle mass.

My dad's main issue is balance, he has ulcers in one leg that haven't healed for the last three years or so.
Balance can be improved a lot by strengthening muscles and balancing exercises. Have him hold a hand rail or lean against a wall and lift one foot off the ground for a minute. Then put that foot down and lift the other foot for a minute. Do this several times a day. Slowly get him to lean against the wall less and lift his foot higher, up to his knee if he can. If he can lift his foot up and balance on one foot for a minute, he is doing well. But strong muscles (legs, hips, abs and back) all make a huge difference to people's ability to balance.

Ulcers that aren't healing is usually type 2 diabetes. Has he been checked for diabetes?
If he eats lots of bread, cereals, flour and sugar, he could have type 2 diabetes and not know it. If left untreated your immune system stops working properly and you end up with sores and ulcers, etc, that take months to heal or don't heal at all.

They need to find out the underlying cause and not just clean the ulcers and rebandage them.

Ulcers that aren't healing is usually type 2 diabetes. Has he been checked for diabetes?
If he eats lots of bread, cereals, flour and sugar, he could have type 2 diabetes and not know it. If left untreated your immune system stops working properly and you end up with sores and ulcers, etc, that take months to heal or don't heal at all.

They need to find out the underlying cause and not just clean the ulcers and rebandage them.
Thank you :) Yep, he's been checked, and he isn't diabetic (my mother has diabetes and it runs strongly in her side though, but not my dad's) - he has really poor circulation in that one leg. I have to nag him a lot to elevate that leg when sitting down, but as I said, he likes to be up and doing things. The docs have investigated, don't worry :)

The war is on. The first batlee will be tonight Sept. 15. Here is the 10 day weather in terms of temps.
10dayforecast.png

I can manage steady overnight temps of about 55F. As the circled temps for today/night show, the overnight low is 48F. The hourly has it under 54 already and down to the low and back up to 55 at about 8:30 a.m. EST. After tonight I am Ok for the next 9 days, so far.

I will be covering tanks with fish with big towels or blankets. The tank have at least 10 wpgm but that is an underestimate as a 20L hold more like 16 or so due to all factors incl lots of wood and rock work.

I would love to make it through mid Oct. before these tanks must come down and any fish in the must come inside. I will be selling fish at CatCon the weekend of Oct 7. I am also sending out to the west coast for an event the same weekend.

Let the Temperature Wars of 2022 begin. I am armed but all that dangerous........

Overhere, fall has entered the country early this time. 7 Of the outdoor accommodations of the livebearers have been emptied by me already. So, still three to go. For the outdoor temperatures are already decreasing. Started harvesting those livebearers that are not too comfortable with too low temperatures. All the rest can still stay outside and will be harvested later this month. That will be mainly goodeids, swordtails and platies (for they are still good with these rates).

So far things look like they did OK overnight. I checked on or two tanks and they seems to be fine temp-wise. I was as concerned about the towels wicking water out of the tanks as anything and they were all dry. The outside temp was about 58 when I checked the tanks and I decided to wait for things to warm up some before I removed the towels.

I am just hoping temps hold for me until after CATCON as I will be away for 3 days. I hope to have pulled most of the fish from the terrace tanks for the event of because I shipped them to buyers and reseller.

Sometime I am amazed by how much luck can determine the outcome of things in a tank. I missed wiping out my breeding group of wild caught L173s not long after I got them. I accidentally dumped a 5 gal. can of water with 5% bleach in it into the can holding refill water for use after water changes. I manged to get it into the 50 gal. and killed 100 amano shrimp and the 20L tank under it where I killed 23 zebra plecos. I was going to do the maint. on the 173 tank next, but I was too tired and postponed it. I dumped the remaining chlorinated changing water the next morning and refilled the container with new water at the nwwdws temp. While cleaning the 173 tank I discovered what I had done the evening before in the other two tanks. :eek:

Well it doesn't look good for overnight low temps starting next Thursday it will go 51, 46, and 50F. Then hey pop up to 56 and 55 for the 25th and 26th and that will be the end. And once Oct comes it will be in the 40s and then 30s. I am not sure the terrace tanks can last until departure for CatCon on Sept. 6. I have plenty of heaters but I am not sure it would work to have one or two tanks out there. It is not easy catching fish when it is 67 to 70 max. daytime temps.

I have one empty tank in the house. Fortunately. I will be able to close down one 20L outside as the fish will mostly go out this Wednesday and the two remaining ones can go into an adjacent tank. The biggest problem is that one 40B outside holds 49 fish that will be going to CatCon. And then there is the other 40B in which I just parked 64 x L236. Many of these were destined for catcon. I am gonf to have to really overcrowd a few tanks for a couple of weeks I think.

VERY BIG *SIGH*

It turned out even worse than expected. As of yesterday only 4 tamnks are still running. One of these is empty and will be closed tomorrow. the remaining three are 2 x 40B and now a 20L acting as a bui-farm for cycled filters. I need to bring these to CatCon. My fish will be in cycled tanks and Rubbermaids.

But as of Thursday night the low temps pvernight are in the very low 60s and mid to high 40s. The pair of 40bs are overstocked, over filters and have 600w in the form of 3 x 300w units. They also have the heaters connected to o controller. The controllers are set to 29C and they also have digitl displays showing the tank temp. and whether the power to the heaters is on. the heaters are set to 30C (86F). The two 40s are covered in towels as is the bio-farm which hold 8 4x4 Poret cubefilters. The 40s each hold two 5x5 Poret cubefilters. I have more heaters if I need them. The worst part of the terrace tanks is I now have to work on them when the temps are below 70F (21C).

Next week I will be sending about 40-50 fish to CA to be sold by a friend there at an event in Washington state the same weekend as CatCon to which I will be taking most of the rest except the ones still too small to sell which will get moved to the only empty tank I have- a 30B. None of the terrace tanks can be set up inside as there is no place to put them. Hopefully, CatCon will be a way to sell a lot of fish. It should also be a way to promote the potential sale of some of my breeding groups after the event.

This will be the last year for summer tanks. I have nibbles on the RB 236 breeders and should move them out before the X-mas season wjen I refuse to ship fish until after mid-January.

When I wrote "have 600w in the form of 3 x 300w units" above It should have said 200w. But all has changed.

5 tanks have been taken down and cleaned. 2 x 20L and a 10 on the terrace are coming with me to CatCon . Another 10 is coming as well, Rubbermaid containers will also be used. So I need all 7 of the Cubefilters on the 20L for the event.

So the 3 tanks still running are 2 x 40B/ One has 700 and the other 800 Watts of heaters. Each tank has a heater on eac ends and one horizontally on the rear glass. The 3 heaters are hooked into a digital controller mounted above the tank and it display s them in C. Very easy to read in the dakh. The 20 L has a 300 and a 150 watt heaters but no controller. The tanks have bat towels cover as much of then as feasible. The bottoms not insulated but the tanks have about an inch of sand on the bottom.

With luck there will be no fish outside when I leave for CatCon late morning on the 6th. At worse this will be by the 11th.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back