Weekly "off Topic" Topic (30/01/120

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

maybe the organisations need to tap into another money fountian in order to pay thier staff

Erm, if there was such a thing, don't you think that the charities would already be using it?

I usually will throw a quarter their way. My stepma and I were leavin the store Parkin lot and this guy begged at us and then chased our car and cussed us out when we said no

I only give to women/men with chairty bucket tins thats all.

I dont buy the big issue eather as i refuse to buy it off a man thats better kitted out with clothes than me.

Homeless people could get help if the where motivated enough to do so. Anyone could change there life around its just having enough drive to do it. Well thats my opinon (everyone might not agree and thats fair enough.)

Here, a lot of people with mental illnesses end up on the streets. The Government doesn't have the funds to institutionalize everyone who should be, a lot of patients are treated on an out-patient basis, it is left up to them to take their medications and keep their appointments. It is very easy for them to slip into a life on the streets, without help there is no way they can find their way back! :sad:

That may be but unfortunatly there is a large number of them who have to lead a life sleeping rough from no fault but there own. I do still feel sorry for these people. Im not saying they deserve to be there im just saying tht there is a large majority that COULD get help if they really wanted to.

I saw a special on TV some time ago about homeless people, and it turns out many of them choose to be homeless. No mortgage, no rent, no utilities, no car payment, no taxes, etc. I can kind of understand the logic of not wanting to be saddled with all those adult responsibilities, but my argument starts when my tax dollars are being spent on these people who choose this life.

And (this should go under the "Rant" thread) I don't like having these people or anyone coming up to me and asking for money or my soul. It's my choice to live my life as I wish. I don't appreciate in-your-face persuasion, thank you.

dont normally give money to beggars if im honest although i have been known to give money to buskers (normally ones who look like they need the money) some good, some not so good but it always amazes me the undiscovered talent u see, especially seeing as alot of these folk will never make it big but have far more talent than all these manufactured pop artists u get nowadays!!

I don't usually donate to beggars, but once we were at my grandmas house in Florida, and we went to the grocery store and there was a beggar at the door asking if he could have money for milk and bread so my mom said stay there and shed buy him some and be back in half an hour. He was gone when we came back. Then after we got in the car another "beggar" started banging on our window so my mom rolled it down 1/6th of the way and the guy asked if he could borrow our car so he could go to the liquor store across the street. This guy was obviously already drunk, and then my mom just drove away and rolled up the window as the guy cussed us out.

This I find I struggle with.

Being in the grips of alcoholism and/or addiction is not a lifestyle choice. Do they want to be that way? No. If you asked them they would probably say yes but they are in a deep sense of denial.
If someone asks for money, its usually for drugs or alcohol. I'll refuse to give them cash but will give them a few cigarettes and offer them a tea or coffee. If they agree then I'll go into a cafe with them, have a wee chat, share with them some of my experience and how I turned things round. If they want to know more then I'll tell them and offer to take them to either a rehab or other places.
I'll give them my phone number in case they want to contact me again. I've took a fair few people to rehab over the years, some have since died as a direct result of their alcoholism or drug addiction and a small ammount have come back to me and thanked me for helping them to get a better life. Its not all going to end in the fairytale idea of saving the world but if one person can be helped then I'm happy.
Those are people, real people that suffer with a disease, you wouldn't walk past a cancer patient in the street, nor would you give them a cigarette so handing money to someone whose chemically dependent is just adding to their misery.

Big Issue sellers are just the same, I've never met one who isn't a substance abuser but rather than ask for money they sell the magazine. I refuse to buy the magazine for the same reasons I've said above. I do fully support the Big Issues work in helping the homeless but would be more inclined to take someone to a rehab rather than help them get their next bag of gear.

In the small village where I had started and operated the SPCA branch voluntarily and in my own private time, I had some kids knocking at my door with a list collecting funds for the SPCA...... They obviously did not know that I AM the SPCA, so,..... I thought this is a good spontaneous gesture from these kids to assist in this way... going door to door, so I donated generously!

Needless to say..... I never heard from them again and did not receive a cent (penny) from their efforts.... They collected for their own benefit under false pretences..... I contacted the local newspaper and published that no-one is to donate to the SPCA unless the collection form carries my personal stamp......

*CUE RANT & OFFENDING COMMENTS*

I naivly?sp used to donate to SHELTER but never gave to beggars.

In all honesty, there are several people out there who are as previous mentioned "sufferers of mental illness" and therefore don't feel they have the neccessary means to get back into a "decent" standard of living.

But on the other hand, after watching a TV program a month or so back about homelessness, many of the people in question used to be "successfull" or have a decent home and family. Or more recently, a luxury homes from hell, a woman squatting in her own home as she used to be a millionaire, but through certain natural disasters to her home ie a tree fell on it. She didnt get the payout she wanted from the insurance... BUT she choose not to pay insurance again and it another tree fell on the opposite end. her home was repossessed but she claimed squatters rights and was inevitably arrested and kicked out.

Why do they loose everything... because they are fools! Wrong business decision? OWN FAULT, choosing to buy a home you havnt a hope in hell of paying off in a century then loosing your job? OWN FAULT indirectly yes, but the choice for a expensive home is not.

At the end of the day some people are unfortunatly forced to live on the streets, but when I hear stories like "I used to be a soldier in frontline Afghan, now I rummage through bins for food" then quite frankly sir you are a baffoon. Your job is handsomely paid correct? Well have some brains and be sensible with it, when your on leave don't go buy a really expensive house and car and live the life of riley and not think you run the risk of pushing things too a point where your forced to pay for the rest of your life, then wonder why your a bum after your sacked or laid off.

Always expect the unexpected and be sensible, its reasons like this that the UK never mind.... THE WORLD, is going into such turmoil. Through lending too much and ending up on the streets unable to pay it off.

HA im in a foul mood tonight, so my rant was to let of steam :)

PEACE!

This topic really hits home since I work in the community for an agency that has a project called "Inner-City-Health" and another called "Harm-Prevention"! I agree there are people who scam others posing as being homeless (had one home-grown case right here in Ottawa, a person who had a beautiful home, expensive car and went to "work" each morning sitting on "his" street corner with a cup in front of him, dressed like a homeless person.....).

Then there are people who at one point had a home, a family, a job, but because of unwise life choices lost all of it!

And then there are the people, the majority, who ended up on the street because life dealt them a rotten hand. Teenage runaways, who are legitimately trying to escape an abusive home-life (not those teens who think mom and dad are unfair asking them to take out the garbage)! People with addictions (alcohol, gambling, drugs)! People with mental health issues like schizophrenia! People who have become victims of todays economy....

My question is: how are those young kids supposed to get their High School Diploma (you can't even become a garbage man without that) when they are prostituting themselves on the street and become drug addicts?

How is the man who suddenly developed a mental illness, that robbed him of his job, his family, his home, to get back on his feet, when society is not set up nor has the funds to help people like him? There is no sudden magical cure and it's not as simple as all he has to do is want to get out of this hole and start climbing!!!

Why are People Homeless ( http://www.kelowna.ca/CM/page1013.aspx )

http://www.mentalhealthcommission.ca/English/Pages/homelessness.aspx

I've been stopped a few times and been asked for money. I don't carry cash so I just tell them like it is.

There was one time I was in Philly with some co workers just to get food, which is like a 3 hour drive. The last stop of our food adventure ended at a place called Tony Lukes, which has been featured on the tv show "man vs food". Right when we were about to leave and head back home, there was this older man woth no shirt, torn jeans, and shoes with holes in them digging through the trash. He wasn't begging for money or food, just minding his own business. I honestly felt bad for the guy so I actually walked up to him and asked him if I could buy him some food and a couple bottles of water and he was very appreciative of it. I actually had an extra shirt in the car and gave it to him.

Had he asked or begged for money, I more than likely would have said no to him. I have seen way too many news stories about people making a VERY nice living off of begging for money and don't have to pay a dime of it to taxes.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back