Week 2 Fishless Cycle white flakes.

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Lupomen

Reaction score
Hi,

I am in week 2 of cycling my Mbuna tank and this morning, the water which has been crystal clear has developed a large number of floating white flakes in it. Despite having kept fish of all sorts for a long time I have returned to the hobby and have never seen this before. I have tried to research what it might be, the only thing I have thought is, I am altering the water chemistry from very soft water at ph 7, to very hard water by substrate and rock, also some crushed coral in the filters at the moment at ph 8.4 (I do want it at 8), I saw some stuff about calcium in the water. Has anyone seen this and is there a cure ?. The tank is 55 gallons filtered by two OASE 350 Biomaster thermo with the sponges replaced by high quality filter media, it is oxygenated overnight which turns off in the day. I have not been running the lights full time. Any advice appreciated.
https://youtu.be/eC0ABDbym2I

Paul

Last edited:
It just looks like biofilm that has lifted off the rocks and is floating around. Do a water change and gravel clean it out. Nothing to worry about.

It just looks like biofilm that has lifted off the rocks and is floating around. Do a water change and gravel clean it out. Nothing to worry about.
Thanks Colin I have done as you suggested and put slightly finer foams on my prefilters that seems to have solved the issue. Just waiting now for nitrite to drop to zero then can stock. Thanks for your interest. Paul

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back