Wednesday Moan!!!!!!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Metalman

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Been a few bad weeks and Iā€™m not having a rant just because I want to and I feel I have the right too!!!!!!
I have been fighting the medical profession to try to get my health back and feel good again, whereby Iā€™m not being a moaning old fart..... Five odd years ago I smashed my hip in a very simple accident and they discovered I am osteoporosis sufferer. So with a big bloody bolt holding my hip in place I had to learn to walk again and frig me it was painful.
So since then I have had to have all of my teeth removed for me to have a yearly alendronic acid infusion to force my bones to take calcium and structure. A leg that flexes and metalwork that doesnā€™t and it hurts......well aches like a continuous tooth ache. (Despite having no nashers now LOL) even funnier I even get occasional tooth ache. Anyway so I donā€™t sleep and Iā€™m in rows with all locum doctors to either give me sleeping tabs or better pain control. So two weeks ago one wally gave me oramorph and now I spend half my day looking like a junkie scratching!!!!! They wouldnā€™t believe me that giving a morphine based meds was not right for me trying to get comfortable in bed.......when I bother going that is.
So tonight I get a doctor who has read my notes and looked at everything not just try to fob me off with more crud to shut me up and get rid of me LOL.
So I am hoping tomorrow I may sleep a full night my first in weeks.......until then Iā€™m peed off haha ?

So sorry to hear about your medical issues and pain. My mom suffers from a nerve disorder that causes chronic unbearable pain. For years she has been prescribed every pain killer out there. Eventually they all stop working. Finally we recommended she look into medical marijuana, which - luckily - is legal in our state. After a couple of months on the medical marijuana, she is off every pain pill and sleeping pill. And she can walk again for the first time in YEARS. It is nothing short of a miracle. Is medical marijuana an option where you are? It has literally saved my mom's life.

So sorry to hear about your medical issues and pain. My mom suffers from a nerve disorder that causes chronic unbearable pain. For years she has been prescribed every pain killer out there. Eventually they all stop working. Finally we recommended she look into medical marijuana, which - luckily - is legal in our state. After a couple of months on the medical marijuana, she is off every pain pill and sleeping pill. And she can walk again for the first time in YEARS. It is nothing short of a miracle. Is medical marijuana an option where you are? It has literally saved my mom's life.
Thank you for posting this...Texas will be the last to legalize, if ever, and it's utterly ridiculous.

Mrs J I quit smoking after 42 yrs and never touched weed tbh medical or otherwise.....itā€™s just not me. I am glad your mother is doing well though.....how awesome.

Mrs J I quit smoking after 42 yrs and never touched weed tbh medical or otherwise.....itā€™s just not me. I am glad your mother is doing well though.....how awesome.
My mom uses CBD oil only - it's not the stronger stuff with THC in it. My understanding is that the THC is the ingredient that makes people "high". Even with her severe pain , just the CBD oil (no THC) works wonders for her. She just rubs it on twice a day. There are lots of different forms that they dispense - some edible, some oil, etc.

Been a few bad weeks and Iā€™m not having a rant just because I want to and I feel I have the right too!!!!!!
I have been fighting the medical profession to try to get my health back and feel good again, whereby Iā€™m not being a moaning old fart..... Five odd years ago I smashed my hip in a very simple accident and they discovered I am osteoporosis sufferer. So with a big bloody bolt holding my hip in place I had to learn to walk again and frig me it was painful.
So since then I have had to have all of my teeth removed for me to have a yearly alendronic acid infusion to force my bones to take calcium and structure. A leg that flexes and metalwork that doesnā€™t and it hurts......well aches like a continuous tooth ache. (Despite having no nashers now LOL) even funnier I even get occasional tooth ache. Anyway so I donā€™t sleep and Iā€™m in rows with all locum doctors to either give me sleeping tabs or better pain control. So two weeks ago one wally gave me oramorph and now I spend half my day looking like a junkie scratching!!!!! They wouldnā€™t believe me that giving a morphine based meds was not right for me trying to get comfortable in bed.......when I bother going that is.
So tonight I get a doctor who has read my notes and looked at everything not just try to fob me off with more crud to shut me up and get rid of me LOL.
So I am hoping tomorrow I may sleep a full night my first in weeks.......until then Iā€™m peed off haha ?
Sorry to hear that... not getting sleep is terrible. Hope you get a good nights rest. ?

My mom uses CBD oil only - it's not the stronger stuff with THC in it. My understanding is that the THC is the ingredient that makes people "high". Even with her severe pain , just the CBD oil (no THC) works wonders for her. She just rubs it on twice a day. There are lots of different forms that they dispense - some edible, some oil, etc.
Yep I use the 30% stuff, taste like thelubrication from a knitting machine tracks.

Why did they have to pull your teeth out for?
That's barbaric.

To treat osteoporosis here, they get people to exercise, eat right and get vitamin D (from sunlight or supplements). They found old people with osteoporosis had a massive increase in bone density simply by getting them to walk 30 minutes each day. Hard to do with a bung hip but there are other things. Swimming or walking in water can help too and takes the weight off the hip.

Jumping up and down 20+ times a day has shown a massive increase in calcium absorption in the legs and hips. You don't have to jump high, just a couple of inches off the ground. You can hold onto a safety rail when doing this. The impact causes the bones to strengthen and hold calcium better.

Weight bearing exercises also help a great deal. Sit on a bench or chair and put leg weights or a small bag or sand or something on your foot. Lift the foot up & down as many times as you can. Then do the other foot. Do this each day. You can use a weight bench too if you have access to one.

Doing squats helps and a combination of squats and jumping makes a massive difference. If you can do squats while holding weights in each hand, it is better than squats alone.

Why did they have to pull your teeth out for?
That's barbaric.

To treat osteoporosis here, they get people to exercise, eat right and get vitamin D (from sunlight or supplements). They found old people with osteoporosis had a massive increase in bone density simply by getting them to walk 30 minutes each day. Hard to do with a bung hip but there are other things. Swimming or walking in water can help too and takes the weight off the hip.

Jumping up and down 20+ times a day has shown a massive increase in calcium absorption in the legs and hips. You don't have to jump high, just a couple of inches off the ground. You can hold onto a safety rail when doing this. The impact causes the bones to strengthen and hold calcium better.

Weight bearing exercises also help a great deal. Sit on a bench or chair and put leg weights or a small bag or sand or something on your foot. Lift the foot up & down as many times as you can. Then do the other foot. Do this each day. You can use a weight bench too if you have access to one.

Doing squats helps and a combination of squats and jumping makes a massive difference. If you can do squats while holding weights in each hand, it is better than squats alone.
Ok this did make me chuckle a bit as Iā€™m 56 Colin and I do a heck of a lot more than you say for osteoporosis tbh. My body struggles to produce vit D or take it on same as vit C. So the only drug available on NHS is the alendronic acid and itā€™s via a tab weekly or monthly or infusion. Problem with it is it can cause necrosis as it has as a side effect killed off blood supply to certain parts of the body. The jaw only has one main supply of blood as does two other parts of the body.....canā€™t remember where now. So the advice was for infusion as my bone density was nose diving and they couldnā€™t find out why. So they advised I made the choice to sod it just go for it. You would think being a fabricator I would get plenty of vit d from sun exposure which is basically what welding is. I have accepted it for what it is and now working on how to get round it lol. I just donā€™t do what i class to be silly things anymore in case I break something as it is fairly easy.

When you are welding you normally wear overalls, gloves and a visor to protect you from the UV light. Hopefully you do because plenty of people have developed skin cancer from welding because they didn't wear appropriate clothing.

---------------------
I assume your are in the UK?
If so, you will struggle to get enough sunlight to create vitamin D unless you spend all day outside and that probably isn't happening now due to covid and your winter. But people in northern European countries will always have more trouble getting enough vitamin D just from the sun.

Vitamin D intake is harder in older people and people with dark skin. As you age you produce less oils in your skin and the oily skin reacts to sunlight and produces the vitamin D. People with dark skin generally don't produce as much vitamin D due to the pigment in their skin.

An easy way to get vitamin D is with supplements. They are cheap and you can get them from supermarkets, chemists or health food stores. That's how I get my vit D, because I don't go out in the sun and haven't seen sunlight for years. They recommend the average person take between 1000 & 4000 IU, however, older people and people that have trouble creating vitamin D, can take more. I was initially put on 5000IU per day and the levels didn't go up. I ended up on 9000IU per day for a few months before my levels started to improve. Now I am back down to 4000IU and it is stable.

---------------------
Vitamin C is found in all fruits and vegetables. Cooking fruits and veges destroys the vitamins so raw is best. You can also buy vitamin C from shops and take those several times a day.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back