Weak snail, need advice quickly before I leave

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

foxgirl158

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I came into my high school library this morning to check on my tank and turn the light on and I found my thorny nerite snail on his back. I believe he is still alive because I couldnā€™t smell anything through my slightly stuffy nose, and when I pulled on his trapdoor he pulled it back. However, I was able to pull his trapdoor more than I should have and he didnā€™t pull back until I let go. Iā€™m going to do a 50% water change. Is there anything else I should be doing?
10g tank
Sand substrate
Whisper 10 HOB filter
Aqueon 50w heater, set at 74 F
No tank mates or plants yet

I had to turn my nerites from their back several times in my tank, especially the small ones, they dont have much strength in their foot and they can get stuck.
Leave it be, if nothing else is there ,it cant hurt anything even if he is not ok. They tend to not move even 3 days after a stressful event.

Nerites do fall onto their backs and if there's nothing solid near enough for them to grab hold of (decor, tank wall) they stay there till someone flips them over. They will try to grab hold of the substrate but that leaves them still upside down with a foot covered in sand/gravel.
A couple of days ago I found one of my zebra nerites upside down, then an hour or two later the waigiensis was upside down in the same spot.

Nerites do fall onto their backs and if there's nothing solid near enough for them to grab hold of (decor, tank wall) they stay there till someone flips them over. They will try to grab hold of the substrate but that leaves them still upside down with a foot covered in sand/gravel.
A couple of days ago I found one of my zebra nerites upside down, then an hour or two later the waigiensis was upside down in the same spot.
Yeah I know :( Iā€™ve had a couple of ones at home die because I didnā€™t find them in time. Is there anything I can do to help this guy besides leaving him be and doing a water change?

There's not really much you can do, except maybe stuff the tank with chunks of wood or rock so there's something near enough in every inch of tank floor.
It's worse if there are fish in a tank as the fish pick at the snail as it comes out of its shell and that sends it straight back in, which is why I rescue mine as soon as I see them.

It may also be hungry. Is there any algae in the tank, or do you feed the snail? Last time I put cucumber in the tank, I had a nerite lying on its back with the cucumber held firmly in its foot on top of the snail.

There's not really much you can do, except maybe stuff the tank with chunks of wood or rock so there's something near enough in every inch of tank floor.
It's worse if there are fish in a tank as the fish pick at the snail as it comes out of its shell and that sends it straight back in, which is why I rescue mine as soon as I see them.

It may also be hungry. Is there any algae in the tank, or do you feed the snail? Last time I put cucumber in the tank, I had a nerite lying on its back with the cucumber held firmly in its foot on top of the snail.
I can see teeth marks along the sides of the tank, so it looks like there is some algae. I can bring blanched cucumber for it tomorrow though, Iā€™m sure my other snails and fish would enjoy some as well.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back