We need to help Tropco.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

StripySnailGirl04

Fish Addict
Reaction score
UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Universe
I was looking at their snails for sale on their website when I came across this:
As you can see, we have some lovely 'Random Snails' for sale. Quite interesting, don't you agree?
Any volunteers to help Tropco and identify the random snail? Send them an email asking for pictures?
I might do it myself🙂 but who else wants to do it with me?

I was looking at their snails for sale on their website when I came across this:
As you can see, we have some lovely 'Random Snails' for sale. Quite interesting, don't you agree?
Any volunteers to help Tropco and identify the random snail? Send them an email asking for pictures?
I might do it myself🙂 but who else wants to do it with me?
I think by random snail they mean they will literally send you a random snail... Like its random... They will just pick one out and send it off. They do this with aquatic plants a lot like "mystery plant boxes"

Sorry but after a seriously poor experience with the firm, they will not get any assistance from me.

I actually reported the company to their licencing authority a few years ago and am quite surprised and saddened that they are still in business.

Sorry but after a seriously poor experience with the firm, they will not get any assistance from me.

I actually reported the company to their licencing authority a few years ago and am quite surprised and saddened that they are still in business.
What exactly happened???

Tell us more, tell us more.........

When looking at getting back into fishkeeping a few years ago, and since I am no longer able to visit suppliers, I saw their website, they had what appeared to be some very nice, healthy fish.

I asked pertinent questions but forgot to ask for photo's of their setup for breeding, store aquariums and packing.

Duly ordered a variety of fish that included a Blue Panaque. Was assured that the fish were old enough and big enough to handle the overnight courier journey, would be double bagged and have heat packs (it was late February, not overly cold but you cannot be too careful on overnight temps)

The fish box arrived as planned.

No heat packs
Single bagged...3 bags leaked most of their water and oxygen.
Water in all bags stunk to high heaven and was a deep yellow colour.
All of the Lemon and Cardinal Tetra were well under 0.5cm long and deceased.
The Blue Panaque was under 2cm long and rigid with cold and very vivid red around the head area, it died within 24 hours of arrival.
The Gourami (3 Honey) were all under 2cm long and deceased.

Before anyone starts about the fish mix, they were due to go into three different aquariums.

I followed the instructions regarding DOA claims, took photos etc (Photos were taken of the fish within the bags and after I had removed them from the bags and placed them onto white paper towels)

The response from them was that I must have shaken or placed the box upside down when I accepted it from the courier and that I killed the fish to make a scene and that their reputation was not going to be destroyed by one irritated customer wanting perfection.

They then blocked all calls and email communication, did not offer refund or anything. So I got their licence number off the website, contacted the authority that issued it, sent photo's and the email response to my complaint to that authority. Ten days later Tropco refunded what I had spent, no apology etc. The authority assured me that the firm was going to be monitored as it had failed their inspections, given opportunity to put things right and so forth.

Fish don't need to die in transit, packed properly they will be fine. I have now bought 18 fish including 5 Discus and have had no problems with overnight deliveries. Importing fish into New Zealand it is usual for the fish to be 48-72 hours in transit. We manage.

Fish don't need to die in transit, packed properly they will be fine. I have now bought 18 fish including 5 Discus and have had no problems with overnight deliveries. Importing fish into New Zealand it is usual for the fish to be 48-72 hours in transit. We manage.
Exactly

I have had very healthy fish from my chosen supplier since the incident with Tropco. Absolutely no issues whatsoever and they were more than happy to provide photographic evidence that was date/time stamped of their facilities and procedures and answer my questions etc.

Tropco were making money selling undersized fish that were incorrectly packed, probably incorrectly kept in their facility. I am sorry that they are still in business and sincerely hope they raised their standards considerably....but I still refuse to assist them or make purchases from them. Once bitten, twice shy.

@wasmewasntit maybe they've changed now?

Just so everyone knows, I don't trust fish delivery. I will never order fish online. Snails may be OK because they have shells for protection. If I eventually choose that I want their stock, I would try to reserve the snails and collect them myself. A few hours drive is better than a few days of stress for any living animal.

@wasmewasntit maybe they've changed now?

Just so everyone knows, I don't trust fish delivery. I will never order fish online. Snails may be OK because they have shells for protection. If I eventually choose that I want their stock, I would try to reserve the snails and collect them myself. A few hours drive is better than a few days of stress for any living animal.
I would not know if they have changed or not cos I will not give them my business

The company I use now (who also supply snails) have never let me or, most importantly my fish down in any way. Aquatics To Your Door are not open to the public, based near Gatwick Airport. The fish have always arrived fresh, healthy, hyperactive and packed/cared for beautifully. They have their own breeding facility and are more than happy to share information on their methodology etc. They also have a much better DOA system too, not that I have ever needed to use it in the 6+ years that they have supplied fish to me.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back