We might start a pond...

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

VioletThePurple

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
So, I've being trying to convince my parents to have a pond. They have turtles in a big tank, but I feel like the turtles look big in it as well. I want them to have more room. The water gets dirty fast, but they won't listen to me because they said it's okay since the turtles are hardy and can live in it. Yesterday they've started seriously considering it.

I know a pond is a big project, so it probably won't start anytime soon. But I do have a few questions so that I can help. Does a pond require the same maintenance as a fish tank? (Testing the pond water, regular water changes, does the pond need to be cycled, using water conditioner, having a filter, etc.) Also, we have other pets that I'm afraid could be a threat to the turtles. There was already a risk since the tank doesn't have a lid, but someone is always in the room with the tank. We have cats, but after some training they aren't interested in the turtle tank. With moving the turtles outside, someone wouldn't be with them all the time. We can't have the pond indoors as there isn't enough room. The pond has to be outdoors.

Is it warm enough outside for the turtles, all year round?

Ponds do best with filters and plants. Most people don't test their pond water regularly but it can help, especially if the pond is newly set up.

If there are only turtles in the pond, you should need to cycle it but they should have a filter and the water should be replaced regularly.

If the turtles are a decent size (shell more than 6 inches long) they shouldn't have too many predators unless you live in grizzly country or have wolves or coyotes.

You can buy aquaculture ponds that are free standing above ground ponds. You can put them in the ground too but most people have them above ground. Most aquaculture ponds are round and you can put some netting over them. And because they are above ground, you can easily syphon water out of them instead of needing a pump to pump the water out.

If you build a pond for the turtles, it should be enclosed so that they cannot escape.

Is it warm enough outside for the turtles, all year round?

Ponds do best with filters and plants. Most people don't test their pond water regularly, but it can help, especially if the pond is newly set up.

If there are only turtles in the pond, you should need to cycle it, but they should have a filter and the water should be replaced regularly.

If the turtles are a decent size (shell more than 6 inches long) they shouldn't have too many predators unless you live in grizzly country or have wolves or coyotes.

You can buy aquaculture ponds that are free standing above ground ponds. You can put them in the ground too, but most people have them above ground. Most aquaculture ponds are round, and you can put some netting over them. And because they are above ground, you can easily syphon water out of them instead of needing a pump to pump the water out.
I live in a place where it rarely gets cold, it only ever snows one day out of the year. So, for the most part they should be fine temperature wise but there might be a few days when it's too cold. When it is cold, I hope a pond heater is sufficient enough because we plan to use their main tank to house bigger fish in it.

Maintenance wise it does sound the same based on what you told me. However, applying water changes to a pond seems tricker just because of how much water needs removing and replacing on a regular basis. Idk if I'm going to be able to convince my parents to cycle it anyways, the water they're in now probably isn't much better than water going through the cycling process. Again, my parents probably won't feel the need to cycle because turtles are hardy. I told them about the netting, but they said that would make the pond look ugly.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back