The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

millie1

Fishaholic
Reaction score
about 10 or so of them!!!

this is my first batch of babies.... by my only guppy lol

question - they are in the breeding net and ive given them some baby fish food.... give them this 3/4 times a day??

whats the chances of them surviving??

about 10 or so of them!!!

this is my first batch of babies.... by my only guppy lol

question - they are in the breeding net and ive given them some baby fish food.... give them this 3/4 times a day??

whats the chances of them surviving??

If you leave them in too long...they wont survive as breeder nets can be a death trap for fry as they hold stagnant water and uneaten food. You need to siphon water out of the breeder net every day and replace it with water from the tank. All uneaten food must be removed or the breeder net will get an ammonia strike and you babies will die. Congrats on the fry. I just had 7 yesterday from a guppy. I suspect she had more but they got ate before I had a chance to remove mom. Feeding them 3 times a day is good.

oh ok!

would it be ok to move them between 2 nets while i clean their current net out???

can fthey fit into a normal fish catching net?

Young guppies are plenty big to catch with a normal fish net. You might be able to catch them in the net, clean out the breeder and put them back into the breeder without needing another breeder net. I usually just clean up around fry by using a piece of air line as a siphon to remove the waste with the fish staying in place. To avoid stagnation, you could just get the filter flow directed so that water flows through the net. That way all you would need to deal with would be the fish waste and uneaten food.

Breeder NETS are supposed to allow optimum water flow, so there shouldn't be an ammonia spike of any kind, but breeder TRAPS are completely enclosed and will need to be cleaned every day.

I,ve got my baby fighter in a plastic trap and its got slats down the sides...its only a cheap one but you can see the water moving through it when i feed him.

I've never had a problem with the traps and always get a large amount of fry surviving.

Congrats on the fry!

Yeah there is a difference. They also have breeder traps that have slits in the sides for air flow. I like this kind the best because it stays clean.

hiya - they are in a net.... not a trap..

they seem to be doing good at the momtent - they have a little plant in there and are being fed 2/3 times daily.....

how old will they be before they are normal guupy size??

hiya - they are in a net.... not a trap..

they seem to be doing good at the momtent - they have a little plant in there and are being fed 2/3 times daily.....

how old will they be before they are normal guupy size??

mine took like 7 months....maybe longer, wasn't feeding them the best food though tbf, btw, around 40% of my females are not breedable due to deformaties or size issues.

had to describe - once they are old enough its easy to tell.....

google will have the answers on imaes... :)

to do with the females spot and the fins.... the males is more pointier,,, the females isnt...

not much help am i lol

You can tell the males from the females the same as you would with swordtails, platies or mollies in in my case in my pictures Heterandria formosa. The difference is in the shape of the anal fin, the one right next to where they poop.

A male Heterandria with a gonopodium for an anal fin.

MaleCloseup.jpg

This female Heterandria has a triangular anal fin instead. In this particular case she also has a spot on it. The spot is only on Heterandria, not females in general.

femaleCloseup.jpg

BTW these are adult fish less than an inch long so the pictures have been blown up enough to get a bit grainy.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back