We are who we are

Guyb93

Fish Herder
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
Honestly feel a little disappointed in my mentality at the moment , iv always been that person .. look at my big dopey fish and my big dopey tank . My fish will eat your fish and his dad will beat your dad up kind of stuff , last year or so iv slowly moved away from that and tried to make a community had to keep my style and have a few cichlids but still a community In respect . But lately I’m just looking at my tank thinks how cool it would be to have a few rare oscars I know oscars aren’t rare but some colours are really sort after and command some decent money , but money isn’t the thing I like big dopey fish and big dopey tanks and I feel a relapse coming , I feel like breaking down my 125g and re stocking with 4 oscars keeping the trouble common pleco and my turtle . Is that normal? Am I just one of those people

It all comes down to what you want out of the tank, is it personality, colours or numbers? 4 Oscars could be a bit much in a 125 just due to the sheer amount of poop coming from adults. I dont love the mix with a turtle but we've spoken about that in the past haha!

It could also just be a case of you wanting more than one tank? Have you ever thought of doing more than one tank? Or dare I say a fish room/house? Just remember fish rooms/houses are often a bit cheaper to set up than display tanks as you don't need decorative stands and hoods etc, you can run them off a sump saving power usage and equipment purchases.

Might not be a bad idea? Rack style stand 2 big 4 foot tanks, a few 2 foots and a sump?

Wills

You like big fish, and you cannot lie....

I've seen some stunning wild Oscars recently - really nice. Expensive though.

For me, I'd be the reverse - tiny fish catch my eye, and I got rid of all the larger stuff years ago. Four oscars in a 125 though? Yikes. I have a 120 (with small fish), and I'd only go with one oscar in it, if I liked oscars. After it had eaten all my small fish, it'd grow fast.

It all comes down to what you want out of the tank, is it personality, colours or numbers? 4 Oscars could be a bit much in a 125 just due to the sheer amount of poop coming from adults. I dont love the mix with a turtle but we've spoken about that in the past haha!

It could also just be a case of you wanting more than one tank? Have you ever thought of doing more than one tank? Or dare I say a fish room/house? Just remember fish rooms/houses are often a bit cheaper to set up than display tanks as you don't need decorative stands and hoods etc, you can run them off a sump saving power usage and equipment purchases.

Might not be a bad idea? Rack style stand 2 big 4 foot tanks, a few 2 foots and a sump?

Wills
You like big fish, and you cannot lie....

I've seen some stunning wild Oscars recently - really nice. Expensive though.

For me, I'd be the reverse - tiny fish catch my eye, and I got rid of all the larger stuff years ago. Four oscars in a 125 though? Yikes. I have a 120 (with small fish), and I'd only go with one oscar in it, if I liked oscars. After it had eaten all my small fish, it'd grow fast.
I understand that 4 oscars would not be a final standing but as for all cichlid I like to buy young and in numbers let them decide who stays and who goes the aim would be for a pair in the end , I like tetra and other dithers but I akways feel like I ya e to have the biggest fish for my tank . It’s a curse

I look at tanks of a similar size with a single stock of 100 neon tetra and think looks amazing but I’m just not that person

Some of my favourite tanks I've seen have been single species with a pair of something in. A pair of Odoe Tiger Fish and a pair of Red Xingu Pike Cichlids, just stunning! The things that made those tanks was the owners ability to scape the tanks but fish like Oscars make that hard.

The other thing to think of here is, this is a proper long term set up and just based on how you like to change direction and get a bit bored does that seem fair?

Bit of a curve ball but have you ever thought of doing an African tank? Feel like an all male Peacock and Hap tank would suit you quite well, lots of them have like specific niches, the rough and tumble of the tank is just in their nature rather than Americans that need a more careful balance. You also get more prestige species which I feel the American side of the hobby is more limited these days - you can find most species in most cities without much trouble but with Africans there is definitely that hunt for a certain colour or certain behaviour. Mbuna and Tanganykians are work a shout too, I saw some Tropheus 'Red Phoenix' last week and they blew my mind.

Wills

Do not do this at home - but if some inquisitive tortured soul were to mush one oscar and 100 neons, the weight of the neons would be far less than an adult oscar. Far far less.

I once saw 3000 cardinals in a 360. Quite a sight. The next time I went, the cardinals were all sold and there were two adult Satanoperca daemon in there. Just two.

Some of my favourite tanks I've seen have been single species with a pair of something in. A pair of Odoe Tiger Fish and a pair of Red Xingu Pike Cichlids, just stunning! The things that made those tanks was the owners ability to scape the tanks but fish like Oscars make that hard.

The other thing to think of here is, this is a proper long term set up and just based on how you like to change direction and get a bit bored does that seem fair?

Bit of a curve ball but have you ever thought of doing an African tank? Feel like an all male Peacock and Hap tank would suit you quite well, lots of them have like specific niches, the rough and tumble of the tank is just in their nature rather than Americans that need a more careful balance. You also get more prestige species which I feel the American side of the hobby is more limited these days - you can find most species in most cities without much trouble but with Africans there is definitely that hunt for a certain colour or certain behaviour. Mbuna and Tanganykians are work a shout too, I saw some Tropheus 'Red Phoenix' last week and they blew my mind.

Wills
I’m so anti “Malawi “ so to say I mean I do like the idea of frontosa but I shy away from Tanganykian and African not a lover of African fish

I’m so anti “Malawi “ so to say I mean I do like the idea of frontosa but I shy away from Tanganykian and African not a lover of African fish
I know what you mean I was the same for a long long time BUT think about it if you just want a tank full of cichlids thats how you do it.

I understand that 4 oscars would not be a final standing but as for all cichlid I like to buy young and in numbers let them decide who stays and who goes the aim would be for a pair in the end , I like tetra and other dithers but I akways feel like I ya e to have the biggest fish for my tank . It’s a curse
Where would the extra oscars go then?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back