Wave Solaris - Grrrrrr

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

AK77

Fish Herder
Reaction score
For those of you who own a wave solaris and want to change the bulb in them, be advised.

I spent about 20 minutes trying to undo the stupid thing with an Allen/Hex key, which was the right size but, wouldn't fit. In my defense, it was pretty dark in my room and I'd just woken up too. It appears that the manufacturer opted to use security hex bolts. These are like regular hex bolts except there is a pin in the centre.

I mean.. why bother to do something like that? At some point, the bulb in the solaris will blow and need replacing. I received my new bulbs in the mail today and now I can't fit them because some chimpanzee in the RnD department at Wave decided to put a security bolt on the product. Will it stop me getting into the light? No... I just had to order a 33 piece security set off ebay. Is it a pointless feature and a real PITA? TOTALLY!!!

So if anyone out there is having the same problem. I think you need an imperial 7/64 hex pin wrench. If you google 33 piece security sets or look on eBay, you'll find lots of them listed. Just find the cheapest one. Maplin are selling them for £11. I got mine for under £4 delivered!

gu60q.jpg

Cheers,

AK

I don't understand why they need to use so many different types of heads for screws and the like.
I have had to buy tonnes of various toolsets for all the different types of screws/bolts etc in my car, but to use hex bolts for a lighting fixture?! :rolleyes:

I don't understand why they need to use so many different types of heads for screws and the like.
I have had to buy tonnes of various toolsets for all the different types of screws/bolts etc in my car, but to use hex bolts for a lighting fixture?! :rolleyes:

lol I know. Its ridiculous enough that they used hex bolts but, to have the security type heads with the pin the centre..... well its absurd to say the least!

Just to update this. I received the security bits today and its the star T10 that fits.

My joy of overcoming the screw problem was short live though. :/

Upon opening the light I found that you can't remove the bulb from the front part of the plasic housing?? I pulled and pulled, put the tip of the bulb on the floor and pushed the housing downwards and the thing just wouldn't budge. In the end I had to cut the rubber/silicone seal around the bulb with a box cutter. Then I got small screwdriver and had to prize the rubber off, just to get the bulb out. It definitely would have shattered if I'd have kept pulling.

I'm assuming then that the genuine replacement bulbs for this come with the front plastic bit of the light attached already? If that is the case, that's another middle finger salute to the chimpanzees in the RnD dept, as it means that generic bulbs (like I bought) are totally useless, as you need the front part of the light housing to lock them in place.

If its not the case, then its a woefully crap design, as the likelihood of shattering the bulbs is very high, trying to get them through the rubber seal.

:grr: Morons!!!!!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back