watts per gallon for smaller tanks

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

endparenthesis

Fish Herder
Reaction score
We know the watts per gallon rule falls apart with smaller tanks because a plant needs a minimum amount of light no matter what type of container it's in. So I found this link that should help people out when trying to figure out their lighting conditions with tanks under 30 gallons or so.

http://www.fitchfamily.com/lighting.html

This person went through Takashi Amano's tank stats and plotted out the amounts of light he typically uses on his tanks to get the results he's known for. If you want a rough estimate of the lighting needed to grow all the plants Amano uses in your tank, you can scroll to the bottom and use the calculator.

Yes, there are plenty of variables it doesn't take into account, but it's a start.

That calculator towards the bottom of that link is very convenient. Saves my brain from doing more work... Thanks for posting that, endparenthesis!

Colin

interesting that a 100g tank needs only 188watts when most people, which havent read this, are tossing out 300watts to maintain the 3wpg rule

good reading

Colin_BC you might have to much light after all .. lol in a 10 gallon they call for 63Watts. uhm but in my 29 gal I only need 104 watts

still thinks on a 30 gallon 160-180 watts is better..

I've actually been (sadly) debating pulling a couple of bulbs out. My brand new limnophila sessiflora is growing well, but it's kind of brown on the top where it's new growth. I'm thinking either a deficiency of a particular nutrient or my solar system is crisping them. However my Water Sprite has no problems at the same height or higher wattage. I've seen Takashi Amano's aquariums, and hearing it's with what I'd call medium light makes you think... :blink:

Colin

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back