Watercolor Brushes?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Teyari33

Reaction score
Any recommended brands/set of watercolor brushes? Nothing too expensive, but I am open to a wide price range for them.
More so just looking to see what's out there and what people recommend specifically/in general. I have a set of brushes I like, but they're general use and not specific for watercolor.

I’ve always used Windsor and Newton series 7, they’re not cheap though, unfortunately.
Might also need to bear in mind if you mind the brushes being animal hair or not, depending if you are vegan/vegetarian 🤔
Otherwise I’ve used the synthetic cheaper Windsor ones and they’re find too. Horses for courses really with brushes I think; what one person loves, another may not.
Do you have any decent art shops near you in order to try?

The most important thing is that you can try them out before you buy. Bring some water to the store (or ask them for some) and wet the brush to see how well it points. Stroke the wet bristles on a piece of paper or the back of your hand a few times to see if it fans out and points properly. Moreover, you can see how springy the bristles are.
In the past, I have tried a wide range of brushes, including these expensive Series 7 brushes that split after the first use, and cheap brushes that functioned perfectly. You just never know unless you test them out.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back