Water

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

DIVEPHOTO

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi Guys .. it's that newbie agian .???Got my tank all prep and waiting on the sand ,, Can you please advise on the water i use .. as far as i can make out i cannot use tap water because of the chemicals that we dring .. Can i use the water out of the water dispensers that you would find in an office .. Big bottles , i recon on maybe 2 or 3 for my tank

what do you think ??? any info would be great

cheers

Hi Guys .. it's that newbie agian .???Got my tank all prep and waiting on the sand ,, Can you please advise on the water i use .. as far as i can make out i cannot use tap water because of the chemicals that we dring .. Can i use the water out of the water dispensers that you would find in an office .. Big bottles , i recon on maybe 2 or 3 for my tank

what do you think ??? any info would be great

cheers

I wouldn't use it, but aslong as it's distilled water it should be ok.

Your probally best just to get some ro water from your lfs.

Nick

i did read somewhere that you can use tap water if you want fish only set up but have to Dechlorinator. but if you want live rock and corals use ro water someone plz quote me if im wrong though

i did read somewhere that you can use tap water if you want fish only set up but have to Dechlorinator. but if you want live rock and corals use ro water someone plz quote me if im wrong though

That is correct, for a fish only, tap water can be used, the problems start when you want to add some coral and you will, no matter what you think at the moment, even if they are only soft corals!

If you go with ro water straight from the start you will have less problems with algae etc :good:

So, get yourself to your lfs and ask about ro water, many will also sell ro already salted

Seffie x

excellent thx for confirming that for me Seffie, i must admit i have always used ro water as it is less hassle, also did end up getting my own ro unit which made life much easier

Superb idea .. i'm off to my local fish shop next weekend ,, going to get some live rock and fill the tank .. so hopefully they can help ..

is there anyway of checking if the water in the big bottles are usable ?? it would be handy for top ups.. will need good quality as on Seffie's advice i am going to put a zoa garden in the tank (thanks seffie)

you would have to get water that would be zero tds so get yourself a tester i would not of thought water from drinking machines would be zero as there filter system would be different to ro systems think they would use carbon and oudor filters

I suspect it is just filtered tap water - for a tank your size its just not worth it - just get yourself a 25litre water carrier and store the water yourself, it keeps for ages as long as it is cold and in the dark. You could have one for salted and the plain :good:

Seffie x

I suspect it is just filtered tap water - for a tank your size its just not worth it - just get yourself a 25litre water carrier and store the water yourself, it keeps for ages as long as it is cold and in the dark. You could have one for salted and the plain :good:

Seffie x

Thanks agian guy's superb advice as usual .. Just had a quick look at ebay 4 x 20 litre contianers with handles and lids on £3.50.. so looks like they are on my shopping list.

Seffie x

i have 50 litres of water 25 litres RO.salt mix
and 25 litres of plain RO water
i keep it in an under the stairs cupboard
its strange that as i live in a bungalow :blink:

Think i have it sorted .. my LFS will supply 25 litres for £8.30 with contianer and then £3.50 for refills .. Now i only need to work out how much salt per litre ???
Will be getting water and live rock next saturday so will start to post pics on my progress

THANKS AGIAN EVERYONE FOR THE INFO AND HELP

Think i have it sorted .. my LFS will supply 25 litres for £8.30 with contianer and then £3.50 for refills .. Now i only need to work out how much salt per litre ???
Will be getting water and live rock next saturday so will start to post pics on my progress

THANKS AGIAN EVERYONE FOR THE INFO AND HELP

£8.30 that's cheap i had buy
my own 25 ltr container costing
£9.00 and the RO salt mix cost
me £7.90 for 25 litres and £3.00
for plain RO water so your doing
quite well for what you paid

Most reactions

trending

Back