Water Wisteria Question

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

cupofjoel

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I've been told that Water Wisteria is a heavy root feeder. I can either give it a root tab and plant it or float it. My question is, will it still thrive floating without it's roots in the substrate? Thoughts?

Yes. Like most if not all stem plants, each node along the stem of Hygrophila difformis will produce leaves and roots. When the cut end is stuck into the substrate, the root mass that develops can be considerable, especially for a stem plant. When grown floating, each node will still produce roots but they will be relatively uniform. At least that has been my experience. Being such a rapid growing plant, it needs a good nutrient supply best achieved with a comprehensive liquid fertilizer.

Yes. Like most if not all stem plants, each node along the stem of Hygrophila difformis will produce leaves and roots. When the cut end is stuck into the substrate, the root mass that develops can be considerable, especially for a stem plant. When grown floating, each node will still produce roots but they will be relatively uniform. At least that has been my experience. Being such a rapid growing plant, it needs a good nutrient supply best achieved with a comprehensive liquid fertilizer.

Thanks Byron. I'll try to plant one and float the rest.

Thanks Byron. I'll try to plant one and float the rest.

If you root it in the substrate it obviously will grow vertically toward the light, but when it reaches the surface you can cut off the growing tip and replant it (removing the lower rooted stem) or allow the stem to continue growing which it will do across the surface. Once the growing tip reaches the surface, the lower portion of the stem receives less light and the leaves frequently die off leaving bare stems. That is why many snip off the upper growing end and replant, periodically.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back