Water treatment essentials

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

rayschooks

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I have just setup my aquarium and have been trying to research the essentials for maintaining healthy water. There is a bewildering array of products from a significant number of manufacturers.
* what are the essential products needed?
* which manufacturer is best?
Your advice would be very much appreciated.
Thank you

Hi Everyone,
I have just setup my aquarium and have been trying to research the essentials for maintaining healthy water. There is a bewildering array of products from a significant number of manufacturers.
* what are the essential products needed?
* which manufacturer is best?
Your advice would be very much appreciated.
Thank you
Dehclorenator is all you need. If you have live plants, something like Flourish Comprehensive would be beneficial.

I concur with above members. Adding any additive, substance or chemical to the tank water has the significant risk of harming the fish, regardless of what the manufacturers claim. "Safe" for fish depends how one defines the word. All substances that can dissolve in water will, assuming the substance can diffuse across the cell membrane of the fish which most can, enter with the water into the bloodstream and internal organs of freshwater fish. Some can be very dangerous.

We need a dechlorinator especially if one has chloramine added to their tap water, but do not use more than necessary. Plant supplements are sometimes needed, and these are minerals and not as harmful as many other additives, but many fish particularly soft water species can have problems when these get in their bloodstream, so again be sparing.

Good maintenance is the safe prevention.

The only chemical I consistently use in my tanks is when I do water changes and that is Seachem Safe. It is a powdered version of their liquid water conditioner, Prime. It goes a long way in my fish room and is quite cost effective. I purchased 3 bottles over 3 years ago and have 1 and a little over half a bottle left.

Thank you everyone for your prompt & insightful responses.
I think - dechlorinator with light plant food combined with a regular maintenance routine is the way to go.
Looking forward to introducing some fish but plan leave it for a few more days.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back