Water Temperature

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Coolysd

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hey y'all Tres Loaches here (that's the name of my tank). So I just did a 50% wc. The weather here has been super hot last few days (and for the rest of the week) the cold water comes out very warm. I did some research (before I found y'all) and read that to cool the tank down (without a chiller) take the lids off and put some fans on it. I also added a couple of ice packs from my freezer (which I put in baggies) and just let them float around. When I did it the first time it worked like a charm. I have looked at chillers and they are way out of my price range especially since I would only need it during summer. Any thoughts, opinions or suggestions? I appreciate y'all!! TIA! 😊

How warm is the water getting?

My tanks regularly sat on 30C+ (86F+) for months at a time during summer and the fish were fine.

You are better off using a room air conditioner instead of an aquarium chiller. The room air conditioner is cheaper to buy and cools the whole room and you. The aquarium chiller only cools the tank. If the room is cooler, the tank will be cooler.

If you have hot water coming out of the cold tap in summer, it is normally caused by a roof that doesn't have any ventilation. You can get roof vents installed (or do it yourself) and that lets the heat out of the roof so the cold water pipes don' heat up and give you hot water from the cold tap.

The temp got a little over 80°F. Right now have 3 Dojo Loaches in a 75gal and I know that they prefer cooler temps. I live in an apartment complex so I have no control over it. I have to keep the air conditioner on or I would melt lol. I live upstairs and it's just a wall unit (would love central air/heat). It keeps my living room cool (barely) which is where my tank is. I just get concerned due to the temps that my babies like.

As long as the temperature goes up or down slowly over a period of time (weeks, not minutes), the fish should be fine at 80F.

You can compensate for the hot summer temperatures by lowering the heater temperature to 20-22C (68-72F) during winter if you are concerned, but it's normally necessary. And 80F (27C) is nothing to worry about.

Thanks for the reassurance! I have a Fluval E300 Advanced Electronic 300-Watt Heater that I haven't even installed yet due to the current weather. It will probably will be a few weeks before it will need it. Not to mention that it's a little intimidating because I'm still trying to figure out how to operate it. I've watched videos but I'm still a bit confused 😕

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back