What's new

Water Sprite haven for platy fry

howard_hopkinson

Tank of the Month!
Reaction score
17 days ago I purchased 3 small pots of Water Sprite. I took the plants out of the pots, removed all the padding/material from the roots and gently rinsed the plants in Luke warm water. I then added the plants to my tank floating.

17 days later and the plants have more than trebled in size. It now appears the water sprite has become a fry nursery for my platys. It's absolutely chock full of the little darlings of various sizes which I'm guessing came from earlier broods.

As the water sprite continues to grow I suspect many more fry will take up residence in it.

Are the little darlings likely to survive in my CT given that I have a large pair of angelfish as well as 2 large pearl gouramis and 3 fully grown yoyo loaches?

Retired Viking

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Can you post a picture? I would be interested in see this. I have a 30 gallon tank with 30-40 fry that like to hide in my floating hornwort and anacharis but there are only guppies and shrimp in there.

OP
howard_hopkinson

howard_hopkinson

Tank of the Month!
Reaction score
I will try and make a video but it won't be until tomorrow as I'm just about to go out for a few beers!

OP
howard_hopkinson

howard_hopkinson

Tank of the Month!
Reaction score
Cheers mate, I'm back now but definitely a bit worse for wear lol. I'll attempt to get the video done tomorrow once my hangover has subsided.

Last edited:

Retired Viking

Fish Herder
Reaction score
With them staying on top like that and if you drop food there for them to eat I think some will survive. The red eyed tetra fry I had would hide under the moss balls and in the plants and I ended up with 12 adult fish :fish: