Water qualities and treatments

FishFood

Reaction score
Hello once again all. I am loaded with questions...This is a great site that im glad I found! My new question for you all is about Spring water versus My towns tap water which I know has a bit of chlorine in it. I have come to understand that chlorine is deadly to my Oscar. I am wondering if natural spring water is any better for my fish? I have found many natural water sources coming directly from the ground in the area of the world that I live in....These sources actually come right out of the ground in front of you from holes in the dirt. If I were to use this water...Would it still need to be chemically treated?

I'd recomened giving it a full range of tests to check for as may inpurites as possible. But on of the main things you'll need to check for would be Ph and hardness.
Boiling the woter may help just incase you pick up any parisites live in the area ;)

Natural water sources should be safe but you need to do a full test as Davy said. there may be toxins,metals as well as bacteria etc in the ground that gets into the water. they be safe to humans but fatal for fish

Thanx for the info..I will start with the simple stuff like the PH and Chlorine. But How or can I check for heavy metals, bacteria and other impurites? And if found, How would I remedy these problems? Sorry that my water knowledge is slow low... :(

You could send a sample of the water to me but that would be impracticle. besides I need a new microscope :laugh:
you could try taking a sample to the universiy and see if they'll test it for you. they tend to have the best equiptment and doing this can add to their grades. I'd phone first though. You should contact the chemisrty/hydrology dep't. or try the local water authourity. :D

Thats a great Idea! I have 2 large universities in my immediate area! I cant thank you enough..  Nor can my fish! lol

No problems m8. Just go to the best Uni first(I know which one that is as well) ;)

What are the perfect water conditions for a Comon Oscar? Please be very detailed. If I bring a sample of my source water to a lab I would like to know what about the water I need to change. Having details of my tested water is only half my battle. After the test I would now need to know what to do with my source water supply to make it perfect for my Oscar. Please if anyone knows, Let me and all who read this post know your answer. Thanx in advance.

I beleive this is a very good question for all who raise Oscars :)

Water conditions for Oscars......hmmmmmmmmmmm.......

Well fill a large container with water (anything will do, bath tub etc etc) add Oscar and bingo your an Oscar keeper lol :p

And im not joking either ..........these are renowned as one of the most hardy fish you can ever keep lol :0

Thats nice to know Pete. At least I can stop wondering if my Fish will die. lol I think I am over protective of Jack.... But I have raised him from a pup also hehe. Thanx again

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back