Water pump making too much turbulence

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

kellyrazz1996

Reaction score
I've had a Whisper(?) internal water pump for a few months now and I feel bad every time my fish, especially the bettas, try to swim across the tank and then get shoved to the bottom because of the force the water is coming out from the pump. Does anyone have any suggestions as far as equipment changes?

Perhaps get a sponge filter instead. They have tube to direct air output closer to the surface. Just attach it via a tube from an air pump. What size tank do you have.

If your filter is an internal filter, sometimes they have an adjustment to lessen the output.

If your filter is an internal filter, sometimes they have an adjustment to lessen the output.
Hey there, thanks for the response!
I have two females and one male in a 20g for now. I plan on upgrading the size of it within the next month or so.

Do they get along with each other? I have a single betta in his own 5 gallon tank. They do best as sole occupant in a tank.

Male and female bettas should not be kept together except for the brief period of spawning - and even then they should be watched closely. They may be co-existing at the moment but it could easily turn into a disaster at a moment's notice. Rather than upgrade to a bigger tank it would be better to get 3 smaller tank of around 5 gallons and move the bettas into one each. Then use the 20 gallon for other fish.
if you really want to upgrade, the best solution would be a 5 gallon for the male, then get some more females and move the existing females into the bigger tank at the same time as the new females are put into the bigger tank. That way you are not adding new fish into the current fish's existing territories, they are all new to the tank.

Lots of decor break up the water flow and create calm areas for the fish to rest. If you keep 3 bettas in a tank 1 will kill the other 2. How they haven't yet is beyond me

I've had a Whisper(?) internal water pump for a few months now and I feel bad every time my fish, especially the bettas, try to swim across the tank and then get shoved to the bottom because of the force the water is coming out from the pump. Does anyone have any suggestions as far as equipment changes?
As some have said, sponge filters.

If you put a thicker sponge in the filter, it will reduce the flow a bit. Do you have any media in the tank?

Male and female bettas should not be kept together except for the brief period of spawning - and even then they should be watched closely. They may be co-existing at the moment but it could easily turn into a disaster at a moment's notice. Rather than upgrade to a bigger tank it would be better to get 3 smaller tank of around 5 gallons and move the bettas into one each. Then use the 20 gallon for other fish.
if you really want to upgrade, the best solution would be a 5 gallon for the male, then get some more females and move the existing females into the bigger tank at the same time as the new females are put into the bigger tank. That way you are not adding new fish into the current fish's existing territories, they are all new to the tank.
They've lived together peacefully for a little over two months now. I read that community tanks were possible as long as there was plenty of space and plants available, and so far that seems to be true. I do have a smaller tank in case anyone starts to get aggressive, but so far I haven't needed it!

Lots of decor break up the water flow and create calm areas for the fish to rest. If you keep 3 bettas in a tank 1 will kill the other 2. How they haven't yet is beyond me
Males will kill each other, yes, but I read about keeping one single male with females before I put them in a tank together. They've lived peacefully together for a little over two months now with no problems.

I read that community tanks were possible as long as there was plenty of space and plants available, and so far that seems to be true.
This usually means in tanks much bigger than 20 gallons.

Keep a close eye on them. Two months is not very long. Male bettas have been known to snap and go on a killing spree after longer than that. And it is not unknown for females to gang up on a male.

This usually means in tanks much bigger than 20 gallons.

Keep a close eye on them. Two months is not very long. Male bettas have been known to snap and go on a killing spree after longer than that. And it is not unknown for females to gang up on a male.
Thanks for the heads up. Like I mentioned earlier, I plan on upgrading to a larger tank soon anyways, so hopefully they carry on with how they've been!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back