Water Mites?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Silencedogood

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi guys-

I was cleaning out my 30 gallon tank when I noticed some weird tiny bugs on the glass and water's surface. They were hopping around and there were a lot of them. Any idea on what they are and if they are harmful? I should note that my tank was a month overdue for a cleaning; I'm moving and I didn't get a chance to water change.

20210117_122150.jpg

They are the white dots on the glass.

They should be fine as they might just be some cyclops? Can you get a macro shot?

I finished cleaning the tank and they are gone now. As long as they won't harm the fish I'm good. :)

wait maybe its a colony of some small insect or bug or crustacean or something under your substrate and you made a lot of them come up. can i see your tank?(i also want to see your tank because i really like the guppy on your pfp lol)
That guppy I bred last year but unfortunately it died from poisoning. I have another one though (his son) that looks exactly like him.
IMG-0412.jpg
IMG-0410.jpg
IMG-0411.jpg
IMG-0413.jpg

There are still some of the mites or whatever they are on the water's surface and they're just hanging out. There are less of them though.

If they're hopping around, they are probably either isopods or springtails. I seem to get tiny isopods in all my tanks sooner or later, and as far as I can tell they don't hurt anything. I kind of like them. :)

They are hopping around. Where do they come from? The only thing I can think of is that I added frogbit to my tank in November. Maybe that's it?

I don't know where they come from. Always kind of assumed they came in on plants, but who knows. Airborne spores? Hitching a ride on fish? Spontaneous abiogenesis? Your guess is as good as mine.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back