Water lettuce sickly!!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Sgooosh

Fish Maniac
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
image.jpg
Hello, this water lettuce has started to melt!
What is wrong with it? Last time I had the same problem and it all died.. it was all going good until now!
Just added flourish and potassium…
If it is a nitrogen problem what can I do?

Not familiar with water lettuce ir a solution for your issue

Can you point out where it is melting?
the tips of the big root and the thin hairy root

First week, They were very healthy with lush green roots and growing many leaves and runners! This morning I added some Seachem Flourish to the tank, and when I went back to check on it in the afternoon, the tips of some of the roots were turning brown!

What is your GH and KH? How much and how often do you change the water. Do you have a water quality report for your area? What does the report say or can you provide a link to it?

Typically when plants melt there is a nutrient deficiency in the water. I haven't seen root stunting in my tank. But according to this sight it might be a symptom of calcium deficiency.

One common problem with liquid fertilizers is that calcium and magnesium don't dissolve in water with a highly concentrated mix of other nutrients in the bottle. My experience in the past is with Flourish is that it doesn't have enough calcium and magnesium in it for my RO water tank. Many other fertilizers don't even have calcium and magnesium due to the solubility issue.

Typically calcium and magneisum is not an issue because tap water typically has a lot of it. But in some places the tap water may not have enough. Or you might not be doing enough water changes or are using RO water. The GH test specifically detects calcium and magnesium. And GH should be checked periodically. The GH level may change seasonally in some areas If your GH is low you could try using a GH booster such as Seachem equilibrium to increase GH. GH booster have calcium and magnesium and increaing GH by 2 degrees would be sufficient to resolve calcium deficiency

What is your GH and KH? How much and how often do you change the water. Do you have a water quality report for your area? What does the report say or can you provide a link to it?

Typically when plants melt there is a nutrient deficiency in the water. I haven't seen root stunting in my tank. But according to this sight it might be a symptom of calcium deficiency.

One common problem with liquid fertilizers is that calcium and magnesium don't dissolve in water with a highly concentrated mix of other nutrients in the bottle. My experience in the past is with Flourish is that it doesn't have enough calcium and magnesium in it for my RO water tank. Many other fertilizers don't even have calcium and magnesium due to the solubility issue.

Typically calcium and magneisum is not an issue because tap water typically has a lot of it. But in some places the tap water may not have enough. Or you might not be doing enough water changes or are using RO water. The GH test specifically detects calcium and magnesium. And GH should be checked periodically. The GH level may change seasonally in some areas If your GH is low you could try using a GH booster such as Seachem equilibrium to increase GH. GH booster have calcium and magnesium and increaing GH by 2 degrees would be sufficient to resolve calcium deficiency
Yeah calcium and magnesium was an issue but when I added crushed corals most calcium issues went away

I think it is black beard algae? I will dm you a link to something I saw earlier that looks a lot like mine

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back