Water Hardness?!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

LibertyMoore

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi there, (feel like I need to start yet another topic)

I have found out that the water in my area has a GH (General Hardness) of about 14, aka the water is Very Hard.

I was planning on keeping guppies, but I believe they prefer water of GH 8-12, so suppose that I will no longer be able to keep these. What fish would be more suitable for my water?

Thanks

-L

First, what is the measurement unit for this number?  If it is 14 dGH, that is hard water; but if it is 14 mg/l or ppm, that is very soft.  I have seen other units of measurement used in the UK, so confirming this is important.

But having said that...I will make an assumption that it is 14 dGH, fairly hard, and your guppies will be fine with this.  So will any livebearers.

Byron.

Nice water Liberty! That level of hardness is very good for guppies like Byron said!
My water is very soft where I live in Colorado. Only after Byron explained a bunch on how to make sense of my water table numbers from the local water supplier.

Do you plan to keep all males, all females, or both? Those gup's really know how to pop out fry! I ended up getting two tanks to keep my gup's from breeding all the time. 

Byron said:
First, what is the measurement unit for this number?  If it is 14 dGH, that is hard water; but if it is 14 mg/l or ppm, that is very soft.  I have seen other units of measurement used in the UK, so confirming this is important.

But having said that...I will make an assumption that it is 14 dGH, fairly hard, and your guppies will be fine with this.  So will any livebearers.

Byron.

Bubble.Guppy said:
Nice water Liberty! That level of hardness is very good for guppies like Byron said!
My water is very soft where I live in Colorado. Only after Byron explained a bunch on how to make sense of my water table numbers from the local water supplier.

Do you plan to keep all males, all females, or both? Those gup's really know how to pop out fry! I ended up getting two tanks to keep my gup's from breeding all the time. 

Thank you for the replies! The units are indeed dGH, so it's good to know that guppies will do fine. I was looking at the males only as I'm not really equipped to handle a lot of fry, and the males really do look good in a tank!

-L

You're very welcome. What kind of male gups do you plan on getting?

Bubble.Guppy said:

I didn't know there were different types! I've been to look at the ones down in a local pet shop near us (we know the owner and have bought all our animals there) and there are many different colours.

Obviously I do not want to overcrowd the tank, but in a 25L one, (5.4 ish gallons), how many do you think I could keep, to ensure their wellbeing?

Thanks a lot

-L

LibertyMoore said:

I didn't know there were different types! I've been to look at the ones down in a local pet shop near us (we know the owner and have bought all our animals there) and there are many different colours.

Obviously I do not want to overcrowd the tank, but in a 25L one, (5.4 ish gallons), how many do you think I could keep, to ensure their wellbeing?

Thanks a lot

-L
No more than a trio in my opinion!

Agree.  And with so small a tank, have you thought about Endlers?  Males only of course.

I would maybe add a couple ghost shrimp as well for a small cleanup crew for the food that is missed by the endlers or gupps! They are super inexpensive and are really fun to watch!!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back