Water changing ideas

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Guppy10

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi, I always Hoover the gravel to remove debris at the same time , BUT iv been told the "bad " water is at the surface of the water . Has anyone got factual info on the issue as another non factual answer would not be helpful. He is a regarded fish keeper in uk who has proven record in all aspects. Opinions please.

If you do water changes correctly of 75%, then your top water becomes your bottom water anyway. Honestly, I don’t understand what you’re talking about. Sorry.

Although there are some protein bio 'stuff' that floats, I've never heard that the water in any particular stratus is any more polluted than another. I don't know who 'he' is, but I think he may be a bit off on his presumption. BTW, I bet you hover instead of hoover athough Hoover is a great dam and a pretty good vacuum cleaner! <grins>

Last edited:
Haha Great answer ! I vacuum lol. Bad water is opposed to good water so bad water is best removed first. Just what I got told, n believe me his fish setups are awesome so I go with his saying . My water is spot on for now but I'll do a change today of 30% just to be sure, tho I will do it as I always do. He changes automatic so no need for temp or quality checks but far too advanced for me but thanks for the comments. He is a show winning koi keeper with a awesome pond , well respected in fish mags with a fish place the size of my house so no light weight.

I also vacuum my tanks when I do a water change. I have not heard anything about bad water on top and with the current created by the filter system, water is constantly in motion and mixing so it is all the same.

Haha Great answer ! I vacuum lol. Bad water is opposed to good water so bad water is best removed first. Just what I got told, n believe me his fish setups are awesome so I go with his saying . My water is spot on for now but I'll do a change today of 30% just to be sure, tho I will do it as I always do. He changes automatic so no need for temp or quality checks but far too advanced for me but thanks for the comments. He is a show winning koi keeper with a awesome pond , well respected in fish mags with a fish place the size of my house so no light weight.
Having a pond, I can say they are different. Dead bugs, leaves, koi poop like snakes all float on the top so in the case of a pond, he has a point. Not in a tank. I breed pond fish, who is he?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back