Water changes

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

hussarman

Reaction score
I have been reading thro several comments on these pages about water changes.
Some members recommend a 10% change and some go as far as a 30% change and one even does a 75% change. What is the ideal? as I am getting old and confused.

Hussarman

hussarman,
Don't want to get confussing here, but it really depends on several factors:

Type of fish (Tanganyikans don't like large scale water changes)

Water chemistry out of the tap ( does one have to condition water prior to replacement)

Number of fish in the tank.

A good rule of thumb is 10-15% every 7-10 days.

When I was breeding fish I would do massive water changes (up to 80%) every 3 weeks. This really induced spawning and since the fish were used to this routine it made them none the worse for ware.

Now I do 20% every 7-10 days in the lighter stocked tanks and 30% in my more heavily stocked tanks,

Keeping in mind my tanks have massive amounts of biological filtration so I can do water changes in this fashion.

HTH

Larry

:D hussarman,
20-30% fortnightly for a fully stocked community tank, 10-15% weekly is better if you have the time.
If you have big messy fish, more water more often.
In a heavily planted tank with a low stocking density you will get away with a lot less.
Great Lakes does little or no changes at all!
As you see it depends on what type & amount of fish you keep and in what circumstances. You should have test kits to monitor water conditions, these should guide you as well.
The solution to pollution is dilution. :thumbs: Mac.
P.S. I'm sure others will have different thoughts but read them all and do what works for you. I change 50% weekly and more often in fry/growing on tanks!!!

I try for 10% each week. If I miss a week then its 20% the next. But how much is needed really does depend on how highly stocked your tank is, how much you feed (or over feed!) ) them and how messy they are. My tanks are planted and understocked (I find I get a lot less problems that way! )

Even with a highly planted tank you still need preferably weekly maintenence - removal of dead or dying leaves etc. Otherwise they'll just add to the bio-load. But as Mac says the nitrate doesn't build up as fast, so you shouldn't need as big changes as a non-planted tank. Although, gravel vac'ing becomes a lot more difficult  :laugh:

It really is a matter for your own personal set up. I would recommend that you just keep an eye for your water quality levels and if it starts to rise change a little of the water at a time. Since I purchased this new filter of mine and with my tank being so stocked with plants, I change my water about once a month and that is usually due to evaporation. I top up about 15% and probably take out 10% ish.

I do anywhere from 70%- 90% water change weekly. It would depend on the tank.

The bow which is heavily planted I do 80% weekly. Very heavily stocked (12 cherry barbs, 2 pearl gouramies, 1 swordtail (only remaining fry I have from my first spawn), 7various cory cats, 4 clown loaches. All fish are full grown with only a sponge filter/powerhead/bio-wheel combo for the filter.

The 55 gets 70%. Very large fish (3 Bala sharks, 3 Pictus cats, 5 krib fry). Gets fed a lot of food. has a filstar XP2 on it.

30g Tigerbarb tank gets a 50% for now will eventually get more as the fish grow. Planted too with a Emporer 400 filter running at the moment. Rose

Some useless facts about bottled drinking water. If you thought that purified bottled water was better for your fish-think again. Bottled water is expensive especially when you consider that using a filter such as Brita will do the same job and cost less per litre. The typical analysis of minerilised bottle water: Measured in millgrams per litre:-
Sodium-1
Lead-0
Sulphates-.5
Nitrate-.2
Calcium-26
Magnesium-1
Bicarbonate-45
Chloride- 24
Dissolved solids 98
Most tap water once filtered will give better quality water, cheaper. Just thought I would throw that into the conversation. :thumbs: :p

So would you recommend running water through the brita before putting it in the tank. I have high mineral count in my water, will the brita help to soften it at all?

Water changes? I top off for evaporation when needed, about 5 percent a week, monitor water quality weekly, and do a change of about 50 percent yearly if everything is well. Planted tanks, and overfiltering aids me in this.

Next thing you know, people will be changing their clothes everyday, even though they aren't dirty. :laugh:

Why take water out that is testing in the parameters acceptable for good husbandry, and introducing water that needs chemicals and additives makes sense, I'll never know.

But once again, maybe that's why they don't allow me in the tropical emergency forum.. :laugh: :laugh:

My Malawi tank with very few plants gets a 40-50% change weekly and my community with quite a few plants (would be heavily planted if the darn fish wouldn't keep uprooting them :( ) gets about 30% weekly. What about substrate cleaning? Every time I do the water change I lightly "hoover" all the gravel and about 1/4 is thoroughly cleaned. Next water change again all is lightly "hoovered" and a different 1/4 is thoroughly cleaned. And so on ad infinutum. :look: I don't get "milky" water, it's clear and the fish seem to like the fresh water - they seem to be thriving as can be seen by the various fry swimming around :)

G.L. what water quality tests do you do? Do you test for DOC's (oh theres another one to add in the initials ;) Dissolved organic compounds) and trace metals or just the normal four (NH4, NO2, NO3 and pH)?

I'm intrigued by the no water changes brigade :) (Of course go back a few decades and its what everyone did!) )

I take an approach some where between GLs and the rest of you. As the main reason for doing a water change is poor water quality so if the water tests ok i tend to leave alone maybe doing a small change every two weeks, This gives a bit of a clean to the gravel. With one big change every 4 months or so.

I do tend to go on the side of caution as far as stocking goes if my tanks were well stocked i expect my water changes would be more frequent.

It may not be right but it has worked for me.

Tatya, DOC's could be an issue I guess. Though my water doesn't seem to have any elasticity at the top, nor any scum.
I will admit my gravel could be a little cleaner though :blush:
AS far as the minerals go, "shrug" fish are happy.
I don't advocate this behavior for everyone, just wanted to point out that I am odd.. :laugh: :laugh:

I wasn't going to join you in the lack of WC's ( ;) ) society.

I like getting my hand nibbled by my tigers too much  :laugh:  :laugh:

Darn! The halls of the NWC, (no water change society), have been a liitle sparse of late. Was hoping to get a few new members. And we do have a nibble night... :D

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back