Water changes

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Great Lakes

Always do right, not popular...
Reaction score
The board seemed to need a new topic to discuss, so I thought I would chime in with something that has puzzled me for a while.
A person has a tank, all the water parameters a good, fish are healthy and happy. Why take out twenty percent of the water, and put water fresh water in that in no way has the parameters of the water you just took out?
I add water that is lost to evaporation, and that is all. I have a 65 & a 55 that have not had a water change in almost a year! I have not even cleaned the gravel or vacuumed it.
A year and the health of two tanks tells me that it probably is not just luck, yet I feel kind of guilty that I am getting along with this lazy method.
Of recent I have seen some discussion on this, but at times have truly wondered just how honest people are about their water change schedules.
Any thoughts anyone?

Hi great lakes.  I used to do what you did with a coldwater tank.  I would have to do a big cleanout a couple of times a year due to all the green algae on the glass the really tough stuff.

Well I didn't think it was me of course :p  But with my tropical one I do weekly changes to prevent the build up of waste.

Basically as I am sure you will know nitrates and other waste products can not evaporate so they remain in an aqueous state in the water.  The only way you can remove them is
a) water changes
B) Loads of plants and I mean LOADS!

Buy a nitrate test kit as it will be very interesting to see what results you get.  Perhaps your tank is only lightly stocked with fish and with a few plants as this will reduce the time it takes for the build up of nitrates.

William

As William says, it all depends on what you've stocked the tank with. The method your using is generaly applied to marine tanks, but congratulations, if you've no problems and the system works don't change it. I usually do a water change about every three weeks some times sooner, depends on the state of the tank, at the mo' I'm battling against algae and trying a few different things so changes are a bit erratic.
just remember that if anything builds up slowly the fish will become acclimatised to the "bad" water. If you're testing your levels regularly and they read ok then continue what you're doing.

Interesting, hummmm ;)
I've heard and done this with filters but never with the water, as far as I've always thought, there tends to be a build up of certain chemicals which can only be removed by water changes :)
But hey, you seem to be doing okay. You must have a good balance in your tank which keeps things going 8)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back