Water changes in large tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

maadi

Reaction score
I moved from a medium sized tank to a large ~110 gallon/415L tank and think I need new tools or methods for water changes. I used to use a watering can to refill in the bathroom sink at a similar temperature as the tank. But how do I manage with such large amounts of water? I can't gently pour a large bucket in at a controlled rate, and my siphon only goes the other direction because the tank is quite high up. Is there another tool I could use to gently pour warmed water back into the tank? Thanks ?

There are some water change kits that have a siphon that can screw onto a faucet, and you can fill the tank that way, kinda like an indoor hose. Maybe one of those would meet your needs?

Make a gravel cleaner from a 1, 1.5, or 2 litre plastic drink bottle and a garden hose or length of clear plastic hose.

Cut the bottom off a plastic drink bottle and throw the bottom bit in the recycling bin.
Remove the lid and plastic ring from the top of the bottle and put those 2 bits in the recycling bin.
Stick a garden hose in the top of the bottle and run the hose out the door onto the lawn.
That is the gravel cleaner.

-------------------
Get a couple of large plastic bins or storage containers and put them near the tank. Fill them with tap water, add dechlorinator and aerate them while you gravel clean the tank.

Get a small water pump like an AquaClear 402 powerhead or similar.
Attach a length of clear hose to the outlet of the powerhead and run it to the tank.
Make a U out of pvc pipe and attach one end of the U to the end of the plastic hose. The U gets turned upside down and hung over the side of the tank.
When the tank has been gravel cleaned and drained, put the pump in the bucket of dechlorinated water and turn the pump on. The water goes from the bucket, up the hose and into the tank. The pvc U holds the hose in place on the tank and lets you move around and turn the pump on and off without having to hold the hose in the tank.

Python. They aren't cheap, but the best investment I ever made for a w/c on a large tank. There are instructions for DIY Python devices online but I am horrible with DIY.

Another vote for the Python, IMO, an essential tool for FW fishkeepers...just be sure the faucet you will be using has the suitable connection (screw-on/off aerator)...

You need either a python or a small pump to pump the water from a bucket into your tank. I prefer the pump method because you have more control over your water that way. You can add whatever you need to it and don't need to add directly from the faucet.

You need either a python or a small pump to pump the water from a bucket into your tank. I prefer the pump method because you have more control over your water that way. You can add whatever you need to it and don't need to add directly from the faucet.
?
The Python has a flow valve near the output end, easy to control the amount of flow (or stop it entirely) while distant from the faucet

?
The Python has a flow valve near the output end, easy to control the amount of flow (or stop it entirely) while distant from the faucet
What I mean is if you need to do things like raise the hardness or PH or if you want to aerate the water or match the temperature more exactly. I use RO water for example, so can't use the python.

What I mean is if you need to do things like raise the hardness or PH or if you want to aerate the water or match the temperature more exactly. I use RO water for example, so can't use the python.
Understood with the RO.

To match the temp, I run my Python in the sink, with a digital thermometer probe in the water stream...when the correct temp occurs, I shut off the valve on the Python, carry it to the tank, then slowly open the valve to begin filling, adding conditioner into the stream...

Python original or home made. Beware thereā€™s a lot of wasted water involved though.
Iā€™m getting a new outside tap thatā€™s python compatible with a 500L waterbutt beneath to catch both waste and tank water before using it to water the garden. Thankfully our waters not metered......yet.
Be careful when filling not to blast sand everywhere. That may be behind my current tank problems.

Python original or home made. Beware thereā€™s a lot of wasted water involved though.
Iā€™m getting a new outside tap thatā€™s python compatible with a 500L waterbutt beneath to catch both waste and tank water before using it to water the garden. Thankfully our waters not metered......yet.
Be careful when filling not to blast sand everywhere. That may be behind my current tank problems.
There IS a lot of water wasted, if you use the Python to empty the tank with the faucet running...I prefer to empty my tanks using gravity, and I get to water my flower beds, at the same time

There IS a lot of water wasted, if you use the Python to empty the tank with the faucet running...I prefer to empty my tanks using gravity, and I get to water my flower beds, at the same time
I do it that way in the summer. In the winter believe me thereā€™s more than enough water on the garden naturally over here.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back