Water changes during cycling.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Obsessed with fish

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Ok, when i bought my plants to cycle the tank my LFS accidently gave me nerite snails, 3 of them. This is all in my 22 gallon cycling tank. My live plants are starting to rot, i think its because i have not done a water change because i thought you are not meant to do water changes during cycling because i may disturb the bacteria. Should i do water changes, What percentage. Will the snails slow down the cycling proggress, i could move them to a smaller 3 gallon. Another thing, there is a weird worm about 2 inches long and it was crawling through my substrate? Is it danrous. It was a dark red color. Thankyou to you all.

Ok, when i bought my plants to cycle the tank my LFS accidently gave me nerite snails, 3 of them. This is all in my 22 gallon cycling tank. My live plants are starting to rot, i think its because i have not done a water change because i thought you are not meant to do water changes during cycling because i may disturb the bacteria. Should i do water changes, What percentage. Will the snails slow down the cycling proggress, i could move them to a smaller 3 gallon. Another thing, there is a weird worm about 2 inches long and it was crawling through my substrate? Is it danrous. It was a dark red color. Thankyou to you all.
Hey!
How long have you been cycling your tank for?
What are you using to cycle the tank? (Flake food/ammonia or live fish etc?)
what are your water parameters (do a water test if you can)?
what substrate are you using?
What plants have you added to the tank?
Have you got good lighting?
If you could attach a photo I think that would be great just gives a good idea of what is going on 😊

lots of knowledgeable helpful people on here I’m sure they will be able to help

also check out this link to cycling tank if you want to check your process:

Hey!
How long have you been cycling your tank for?
What are you using to cycle the tank? (Flake food/ammonia or live fish etc?)
what are your water parameters (do a water test if you can)?
what substrate are you using?
What plants have you added to the tank?
Have you got good lighting?
If you could attach a photo I think that would be great just gives a good idea of what is going on 😊

lots of knowledgeable helpful people on here I’m sure they will be able to help

also check out this link to cycling tank if you want to check your process:
the tank has been cycling for about a week and a half, i used pellets to make the ammonia. My ph is 7. My nitrite and ammonia test kit have not come in the mail yet. The plants are Asstd anubias, i ahve 2. 1 of them is on drift wood one is in the substrate. The 3rd plant is a mystery. Its my tallest and it looks like a palm tree. The substrate is sandy. My lighing is lighting that cam ewith the tank. I cant tell if its good or not, have you got any ways to tell? Tank you.:)

the tank has been cycling for about a week and a half, i used pellets to make the ammonia. My ph is 7. My nitrite and ammonia test kit have not come in the mail yet. The plants are Asstd anubias, i ahve 2. 1 of them is on drift wood one is in the substrate. The 3rd plant is a mystery. Its my tallest and it looks like a palm tree. The substrate is sandy. My lighing is lighting that cam ewith the tank. I cant tell if its good or not, have you got any ways to tell? Tank you.:)
Okay no problem! Difficult to tell how many nutrients there are in the water column for your plants so they may just be struggling to get the resources they need at the moment whilst your cycle balances out. I find near the end of the cycle when you are getting around 20ppm of nitrate in the water your plants will look a lot happier than at the start of the cycle unless you have added root tabs to your substrate or placed aqua soil beneath the substrate. You could pop a small dose of fertiliser in the tank but as it is cycling probably should wait for that process first before you start adding liquid fert as it could mess with your readings when your test kit comes! Would certainly be considering root tabs for your plant that has been planted if you have the funds. It is difficult to tell what is going on really without the water parameters so you’ll have a better idea when you get your test kit as to what is going on as you’ll want to monitor carefully the changes in your tank 😊 The Anubias will probably be a slow grower - mine is anyway! I think a good light level for plant growth is (according to tropica) “If you have chosen nothing but "Easy" plants, 10-20 lumen (0.25 to 0.5 watts) per litre is adequate. For "Medium" plants, we recommend 20-40 lumen (0.5 to 1 watts) per litre, while "Advanced" plants require more than 40 lumens (1 watt) per litre” so I would have a nosey at the spec of your light if you can just to see where you are at in terms of lighting! 💡 You can always get a desk lamp and stick that above the tank as well if you need a quick cheap boost !
i have this light on my tank and I find it grows all sorts easily and didnt cost me a bomb :

IREENUO LED Aquarium Light (7W
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B082HT6MB7/?tag=

I’ve attached a photo of my tank for reference as well so you can see it has grown quite a lot of plants - I usually do two tiny pumps of the green tropica fert a week and weekly water changes and it does the trick

if you could pop a photo in reply can have a better idea of what is going on and if your plants are missing a specific mineral 😁

that’s just my opinion anyway I’m sure lots of people will have some fab ideas as to what is going on and we can solve the mystery!

Attachments

• A2A57982-4B43-42A6-8F81-D884BFE8BF6D.jpeg
    A2A57982-4B43-42A6-8F81-D884BFE8BF6D.jpeg
    306.4 KB · Views: 59
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I’m not an expert by any means but the anubias that is in the substrate will need removing, if you bury the root bit it will rot which is why they are generally attached to wood and rocks. Anubias are probably not the best if you are attempting a silent cycle, you need much faster growing plants for that.

Also, the BB isn’t in the water column, it’s in the filter and on surfaces, so as long as you are treating for chlorine I don’t think water changes affect they cycle. Have you read the stickies on cycling? They give a day-by-day account which I found really helpful.

one final thought, you’d be better buying proper ammonia for the cycle, that way you will know exactly what levels you are reaching, and clearing.

You can do a water change any time during a cycle. The bacteria are stuck to surfaces, not in the water.

People have pointed you in the direction of this link countless times now over the last few weeks....

Please read it thoroughly, its what its there for matey......everything like water changes are well explained, you just need to sit down and read it and not start getting all impatient again....cos people will get annoyed with you again :)

People have pointed you in the direction of this link countless times now over the last few weeks....

Please read it thoroughly, its what its there for matey......everything like water changes are well explained, you just need to sit down and read it and not start getting all impatient again....cos people will get annoyed with you again :)
ok, thankyou. I will read it again.

Why is the water level so low?

...and its meant to be a fishless cycle, and that includes snails, so why have you put snails into an uncycled aquarium where they will be suffering ammonia and nitrite spiking?

PLEASE...DO IT PROPERLY!!!!!!!!!

No animals whatsoever and go get the ammonia. Stop cutting corners and causing animals unneccessary harm.

Most reactions

trending

Back