Water changes; 30% daily vs 75% weekly, what's better overall?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
And a minimum of 10G for a single betta. Not too sure why but this group seems to be obsessed with large tanks. Any tank under 200L/55G is considered too small for home aquarium... not too sure why I joined :p
I left after seeing a community tank with virtually no decorations and a male Betta with no comments but plenty of "love" reactions then got told off for giving advice over a bacterial bloom.

I left after seeing a community tank with virtually no decorations and a male Betta with no comments but plenty of "love" reactions then got told off for giving advice over a bacterial bloom.
Yes, the admins seem to favour big tanks with no decorations or fake plants. Weird group. When I challenged some of the replies I get nothing back lol. Anyway good to stick around for the dramas ;) Also just found out you don't need to cycle new tank if you move some of filter media over...

And a minimum of 10G for a single betta. Not too sure why but this group seems to be obsessed with large tanks. Any tank under 200L/55G is considered too small for home aquarium... not too sure why I joined :p
I have been told you can't keep tinfoil barbs or clown loaches in tanks unless they are ridiculously large:p

Too old for drama, infact if it wasn't my gaming groups preferred contact method I wouldn't be on FB at all. Much prefer BB like this.
Well FB has nice format to keep updated with family and friends and also different groups etc. There are helpful groups in FB but some are just pure drama :) I've been member of different fish keeping forums and find this the best in terms of knowledge.

I have been told you can't keep tinfoil barbs or clown loaches in tanks unless they are ridiculously large:p
To be fair I get that the largest tank possible is best for the fish, however should give fair advice to beginners. Not just say that you can't have anything smaller than 10G for single betta, which I know is not true.

Well that's just silly :dunno:. My littlest goldfish is 24" so could easily fit in my 85l tank which is 36" long.

Before anyone starts flaming he lives in a 6000l home with 11 friends :whistle:
lol I've challenged the admin and they''ve just banned me for no reason.
Bunch of clowns :)

I do a 25-30% weekly and a 60% once a month and that’s been fine so far.

The % depends on the bio load and filtration you have. A light load and good filtration shouldnt need a large change weekly..

Theres a number of people quoting that large changes can affect the bacteria colony if your removing too much of its food.

I once saw a 10 gallon tank with guppies in it where the person never changed the water. The water in that tank was so dark that all I could see was the eyes of the little ones that where born there swimming close to the glass. I tired to talk to this person about this but all I got was a shoulder shrug and a walk away. She is my niece. At a later date when I stopped by for a visit the tank was gone and I never saw it again.

The adults had long since died in that tank, but they had off spring that was born there. They survived for awhile, but then all died due to as is my guess high ammonia, and other bad pollutants in that tank. The point is the off spring survived as long as they did, because they where born in tank. But they didn't live long enough for off spring of their on.

I once saw a 10 gallon tank with guppies in it where the person never changed the water. The water in that tank was so dark that all I could see was the eyes of the little ones that where born there swimming close to the glass. I tired to talk to this person about this but all I got was a shoulder shrug and a walk away. She is my niece. At a later date when I stopped by for a visit the tank was gone and I never saw it again.

The adults had long since died in that tank, but they had off spring that was born there. They survived for awhile, but then all died due to as is my guess high ammonia, and other bad pollutants in that tank. The point is the off spring survived as long as they did, because they where born in tank. But they didn't live long enough for off spring of their on.
More likely high nitrates, plus other gunk.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back