Garbolino

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
When doing a water change/ general tidy up etc what's better for the fish,

Lights on
Lights off
Doesn't matter

Lights on better for us so we can see what's getting hoovered up

I'd say doesn't matter. Some will say fish don't get as stressed when the lights are off though. :)

I always do changes with lights off as I was told it was less stressful for the fish - but not sure if this is true or not  

I do mine with lights on. I think eventually most fish get used to it so it's not quite as stressful as one would think? I've even heard of some people's fish playing in the tubing. :)

I do mine with lights on as reckon if you keep to the same routine, the fish and shrimps should get used to it to a certain degree.

And also my shrimps are nosy critters, the play in the gravel cleaner tube as well, i got to stop the flow otherwise would get sucked up to my bucket! Lol and they like to go on my hand that's in the water holding the gravel cleaner sometimes when am not looking!always check the tube and my hand before withdrawing from water!:)

Lol

Never thought of keeping shrimp, might have to read up on them

Any advice on types to keep/avoid

Depends on what kind of fish you have in the tank. Amano are not as hardy, but wont be hunted to extinction by bettas. While red cherries are very hardy and cheap, but an expensive snack!

DreamertK said:
Depends on what kind of fish you have in the tank. Amano are not as hardy, but wont be hunted to extinction by bettas. While red cherries are very hardy and cheap, but an expensive snack!

You know, I'd say the exact opposite... Amanos would be my first choice/recommendation for any new shrimp addition. My amanos have been nigh on bullet proof while my fire reds have not been quite so. 

I have lost one pregnant female amano because I stupidly added plants that had been treated with some sort of anti snail treatment. A second was on his side and not mobile until I moved him and the others into another tank...he fully recovered! The same couldn't be said for my fire reds - the damage had already been done and I lost the remainder of them despite moving them to the unaffected tank with the amanos.

So, to the OP, amanos would be my recommendation for your first foray into the world of inverts. Oh and lights on, one of my male DGs likes to play with the cleaner tube! He likes to watch all the poo being sucked up...he doesn't get out much!

mitch70 said:
I always do changes with lights off as I was told it was less stressful for the fish - but not sure if this is true or not  
I'm unsure why anybody would think water changes are stressful, to fish????????????????????????????????????
the only information I know of says quite the opposite. even using cold water is said to be benificial, providing the temp difference is not vast.
as for lights on or off, how could it make any difference?

I've never kept amanos, but I've had a lot of success with my RCS even with meds and my gourami. They only have a two year lifespan and even less if you have high temps in the tank, but they have kept my tank immaculate from algea just from scraping every surface on the tank and not allowing protein clusters to form.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back