Water Change!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

longy1989

Reaction score
hello i am about to do a water change as my nitrite levels are way to high its a new tank and ive read through the fishless cycle post an dmy question is it mentions when performing a water change to get the water to the same temp as my tank is this done by using warm water or just by leaving cold water to heat up over time ? 

You can add a bit of warm water to take the sharpness out of the cold water (considering your house is relatively modern). But it shouldn't be a problem considering you add the new tap water to the tank slowly =D

What i like to do is get my water temp from the tap closest to the water on my tank. You can just feel it with your hand as 1-2 degress off wont hurt anything for the most part

I too feel my tank water and try to gauge it from there as far as the tap water goes. I am assuming you have a heater in your tank and are not keeping a cold water fish. I have read somewhere several times that is always better to go a little on the warmer side. A little! Depending on what you have for fish. Could you let everyone know what you have for fish and what size tank/heater etc? And do you add anything to the water such as dechlorinator etc?

This is very simple, either you use your hand to feel the water temperature, I do it these days as with time I got used to setting up my taps so that the water comes the way I want. Or you can use a termometer to get a more accurate temperature reading.
But if the tank has no fish I see not ned for such extreme accuracy.

You don't need such care without fish, make sure the water is close to the tank water but no need to go crazy about it. Fish tend to get stressed and its easier for them to get sick with sudden temperature changes but if theres no fish you dont need to worry that much.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back