Water change w/angelfish fry

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

stanleo

Fish Herder
Tank of the Month šŸ†
Reaction score
about to do my 50% weekly water change. I have angel fry that ā€œhatchedā€ on Monday. I was hoping they would be free swimming by now but currently they are on the filter intake well above where the water line will be during the change. It only takes me twenty or so minutes from the time I start emptying water to when itā€™s filled again. I was hoping they would be on a leaf today. My question is, can they survive this? The farlowella eggs make it just fine. I was just going to let nature take its course when they fully develope meaning they wouldnā€™t last long anyway after they start swimming. So should I even concern myself? If they arenā€™t going to be grown out anyway isnā€™t the water change more important? Also, I do have a tank I was in the middles of cycling, if I do a big water change on it can I get some of the fry in there? I just kinda feel a little guilty if I kill them with this change.

do a smaller water change so they stay underwater. The fry are move sensitive than eggs and any air at this stage will kill them.

If you normally do regular water changes the tank will be fine for a few more days or a week before its next change. If you really want to change the water do a small one today and again tomorrow.

I assume you arenā€™t planning on raising them otherwise they would probably be in a breeding tank? In a community tank they are likely to be eaten at some point anyways, quite possibly by the parents. My pair of angels lay eggs every week, sometimes they hatch, sometimes they are eaten before. Point being I sometimes have free swimming fry in my tank and I still do water changes and they are always fine. Itā€™s the parents and other fish to be concerned more about tbh. I just always temp match my water and never any issues. The fry usually congregate together nearer the level I donā€™t reach during WCs either.

do a smaller water change so they stay underwater. The fry are move sensitive than eggs and any air at this stage will kill them.

If you normally do regular water changes the tank will be fine for a few more days or a week before its next change. If you really want to change the water do a small one today and again tomorrow.

I was all set to take this advise and just do the water change over three days because I was considering doing that and you seconded my plan. But when I started draining the guy that is redoing my deck showed and I got distracted. By the time I got back half the fry were already dislodged and the parents were frantically scooping them up so I decided to see what happens and did the whole change. When the water level got back up they put the fry right back where they were. It looks like they saved most of them. Weā€™ll see how they fair in the long term but it looks like they got lucky.

Attachments

• 69544F5E-56DB-45DD-A4D2-C12C600075A1.jpeg
    69544F5E-56DB-45DD-A4D2-C12C600075A1.jpeg
    1,001.2 KB · Views: 161
I assume you arenā€™t planning on raising them otherwise they would probably be in a breeding tank? In a community tank they are likely to be eaten at some point anyways, quite possibly by the parents. My pair of angels lay eggs every week, sometimes they hatch, sometimes they are eaten before. Point being I sometimes have free swimming fry in my tank and I still do water changes and they are always fine. Itā€™s the parents and other fish to be concerned more about tbh. I just always temp match my water and never any issues. The fry usually congregate together nearer the level I donā€™t reach during WCs either.

No Iā€™m not with this batch just going to let it all happen. This is the second bunch of fry they have gotten this far and the last one only lasted about an hour after they started swimming. Maybe sometime in the future I will save some to see if I can grow them out but Iā€™m in no hurry for this. They lay eggs every 3 weeks or so so I will get another chance.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back