Water Change Question

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

They are unnecessary, if there is no reason for you to be doing extra water changes 50% once a week should be fine.

Unless of course you have a disease problem, in that case go for it

Normal maintenance should be 50% or more once a week.

Under some circumstances like dealing with ich or cycling, daily water changes may be the best option.

You've left lots of info out. Why are you considering this?

I worry about my bioload being a bit too high. I have eight panda corys and three nerites in a 15 gallon. Also, the tank is still cycling.

Last edited:
In the case where the tank is not cycled I would do a 75% or more change any day when the ammonia or nitrite is not 0. When you change 50% you are leaving 50% of the bad stuff behind - so bigger changes are better.

I worry about my bioload being a bit too high. I have eight panda corys and three nerites in a 15 gallon. Also, the tank is still cycling.

aqua.jpg

What are ammonia, nitrate, and nitrate levels?

If you have ammonia or nitrate, keep up with the daily water changes.

The philodendron are growing emmersed on the driftwood and growing very aggressively throwing down lots of long roots and putting up shoots. The three Hydra Lotus Lucky Bamboo are huge and rooting like crazy. Hopefully they are improving water quality while the tank cycles.

I know it doesn't make sense, but ammonia is .25 ppm, nitrate is 0, and nitrate is 0. Using API master test kit tested several times.

philo.jpg
cl.jpg

I think your water perimeters do make sense.

You just aren't all that far into the cycle.

Since you have fish, daily water changes are a must to keep them alive.

I'll keep up with the daily water changes then.

Thanks all!

Most reactions

Back