Water change and pregnant molly

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Kamdavid

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I hear a water change can induce labor ...

What are the chances of that happening ? Out of everyoneā€™s experiences. Obviously I donā€™t want her to have the babies until sheā€™s ready. But I donā€™t know how much larger she can get. And I donā€™t know if the water change will stress her bad ...

Anyways. Water change is done. Will test the water parameters now.

Water parameters one hour after water change -

Ph- 6.0 ( weird because it always has been testing 7.0...?)

Ammonia- .50 ppm (usually tests .025 ppm)

Nitrite- .25 ppm (usually tests 0ppm)

Nitrate- 10 ppm

Think everything is ok ? Is it different because I just did a water change ? Iā€™m gonna rest tomorrow too.

I have a very big platy and they take longer to give birth in a more crowded tank with a male platy but if you want her to give birth quickly i would suggest moving her to another tank.

I keep hearing not to move them just to leave them. So I have decided just to leave her in the tank. Did you see the last post in my pregnant mollie post of her pictures ?

You need to check the tapwater for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH.

The water companies are probably adding more chloramine to compensate for the coronavirus, not that it will do anything but in their minds it might.

You need to dechlorinate any new water before it goes into an aquarium containing fish or other aquatic organisms.

-----------------
You can do huge water changes on tanks with pregnant (gravid) livebearers in as long as the new water has a similar pH, GH and temperature to the tank water. You also need to avoid stressing the female during the water change, which means moving gravel cleaners around slowly and not chasing after the fish.

Most fish in an aquarium will tame down and won't be stressed by water changes if you do them regularly.

I add all chemicals to dechlorinate before water goes back into the tank.

I am very calm with suctioning out waste and water. Never chasing fish. Itā€™s usually the fish chasing me.

I have been doing weekly water changes with my 2 pregnant girls and they have been fine over the weeks. I did another today hoping to help bring on labour as they are both like mini whales! I feel uncomfortable for them now theyā€™re that big

I have been doing weekly water changes with my 2 pregnant girls and they have been fine over the weeks. I did another today hoping to help bring on labour as they are both like mini whales! I feel uncomfortable for them now theyā€™re that big
Same. I was hoping the water change would do something. Will see in the morning with lights on ! Will keep everyone posted.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back