Watch your POWERHEADS!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

agate

Reaction score
Over the past three years I have been keeping six aquariums, 100, 75, 55, 40, 20, and 12 gallon. All of them have power heads for UGF or to maintain higher oxygen. For the first time last week, a RIO head got hot and raised the temp by 7 degrees causing me to lose a percentage of my fish. The only reason I didn't lose more is that I check my temps each morning. Have any of you had a similar experience?

Agate

Are u sure it was the powerhead and not a dodgy heater ? how far was the powerhead into the water ?

I don't use a heater in this particular aquarium. It maintains itself at about 77 degrees. The internal pump creates a certain amount of heat. The powerhead was located near the surface.

Agate

A power head is in reality just a sump or submersible pump.

If as i think stickle is thinking you have it high in water at surface this could be your problem.

A sump needs to be completely underwater as it uses the water to cool itself down through heat dissapation into water.

If your water level was too low the temperature exchange would be poor leading to the sump ( powerhead ) overheating, this would then take the temperature of the tank up as said.

Hope this helps :D

Thanks, Cayote, I'll keep in mind. Always willing to learn! 8)

Agate

YEah thats what i mean cayote, as i found when i do a water change, if i forget to turn off the filter firse it does get pretty hot! :blink:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back