FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

PheonixKingZ

Fish Guru
Tank of the Month 🏆
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
I went to turn on my tank lights today, and I found this floating on the surface!!
4F795D4C-4EDE-4A92-A941-A8EB0886AEED.jpeg

It appears to be some sort of wasp/ant. This is not the first time this has happened though. I have seen e more of theses over the past few months.

First of all does anyone know what this insect is, and secondly, how do I prevent this from happening again? (Preferably without having to get a lid.)

Thanks in advance! :)

It could be a wasp or a bee. If the weather is warm and dry they sometimes get inside and land on the water for a drink, but then they drown. They also get attracted to light at night, so if it's dark outside they sit by the light unit on the tank and stay there all night.

There's nothing much to worry about as long as you don't have swarms of them outside your doors.

It could be a wasp or a bee. If the weather is warm and dry they sometimes get inside and land on the water for a drink, but then they drown. They also get attracted to light at night, so if it's dark outside they sit by the light unit on the tank and stay there all night.

There's nothing much to worry about as long as you don't have swarms of them outside your doors.
Ok, so you don’t think I need a lid?

I wouldn't bother about a lid to keep the bugs out, but if you have fish that jump, then a cover will reduce the chance of the fish jumping out. And if the tank is heated (tropical), a cover will reduce evaporation and heat loss so you use less power to heat the water.

In addition to the valid points Colin made, another very important one is dust settling on the water. I know how much dust accumulates on my tank covers, so if the tanks were not covered all that dust would be on the surface of the water, and that is not good as it can inhibit the exchange of gasses. Plus, its dirty!

Colin mentioned evaporation, but this is not only water leaving the tank...but, where does it go? Answer, into the structure of the room. There are fans in bathrooms to remove moist air and for a good reason, it can damage the structure. Same holds for fish tanks. It depends perhaps on how many, and the warmer the water the more evaporation, but from the amount of evaporated water I see on the covers in the morning I would bet there is a fair bit of moisture invading your walls/ceiling, and this is best left in the tank.

Last edited:
I’m too paranoid. I keep lids on all of my tanks. Not only do I not want to find a fish on the floor, but also worry about things getting to them and pollutants landing in water. Don’t spray anything around an open tank.

This is not a bee, as a beekeeper I can say if it has wings then it's in the wasp family.
The easiest way to stop this is to place a saucer with marbles filled with water outside.
Then they will collect water at that point.
I can not speak to wasps, but bees do not drink water. They use it to cool the hive.
You will quickly learn if you have a colony close by. Don't worry if you don't bother them, they won't bother you. There is no such thing as an aggressive bees, only defensive.

I do not want to create a fire storm.
But the Africanized bee is a acceptable honeybee.
I live at latitude 12N, so it could be said that all our bees have been Africanized.
I can work some hives without suit, but other hives are grumpy. Those hives I have to use full suit.
This grumpy behavior is caused by both me, not giving the bees something to do ( space to work) and the queen.
If there is no problem, then there is no grant money.
Research Dee lusby, probably the world's formost authority on the honeybee if you want to learn more.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back