Was I just lucky?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

mathman

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Mountains of Northern California, USA. At the
Here's the scoop. I started a 10 gal tank several yrs ago for my kids. When I found in amazement that we had baby fish a few months later I was shocked as I didn't know Mollies gave live birth. I soon had to add a 20 Gal tank in addition to my 10. I never had problems save a small case if ich. I only checked my water if things seemed weird and never did water changes. Of course I added water when it got low. Anyway, I dont have any Idea why I was so successful before when I really didn't do much to my tank to take care of it.
Now with my new tank... I am on well water so dont have any of the additives city water has. How often should I do water changes and how do I go about doing them? I have had no problems yet and have already had a female give birth but I can only find 4 fry. What is the best cover for fry that is quick since I have 1 more mollie ready to give birth and 2 guppies preggy? (about half way through I would guess)
One more Question...I live 80 miles from the closest place to have my water checked so i need to learn to check it on my own. What all do I need and how important is each test. I am on a very limited income so need to go slowly with the purchases.

Sorry this is so wordy but I am very excited to have fish again!

Hi bink! ;)
Nice to see you.
You seem to have lots of luck with your fish which is quite good.
About your guppy fry, i know of an excellent weed. I am not too sure what it is called so i'll desribe it.
It is basicly a bush that has no roots. A large clump of tangles"vines" with 2 small leaves on each side going down.The "vines" are very thin.

(Sorry, i am horrible at explaining things)

Anyway, bushy and big/floating plants are excellent for fish fry. They can hide in them and geyt a small feed.

Hope i was of any help!(i am sure i wasnt)
Good Luck!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back