Warning about Fluval 60L 7000K LED

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

ukdamon

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 60L Fluval Edge Aquarium with integrated filter and LED lighting.
It's a lovely sized tank, but I wanted share a couple of issues with you in case you're thinking of getting one.

The LED light is great, and super bright. It does have 3 modes. White, White & Blue and Blue only LED's

However, because it has a touch button on the top, you cannot plug the light into a timer, when the timer switches the light off, it cannot be switched on again from the timer/plug. The only way it can be switched on is to touch the button on the lid. I have managed to fit the Fluval light timer to it, but that only dims the light down to 1%, I cannot have it switch off which is a shame.

The lid is also a bit of a fiddle. Apart from that, its a nice tank. Fluval just didn't think through the lighting.

I just received this tank. I wish I would have come across this post before I bought it. I am setting up a planted tank and need the light on a timer. I currently have a wifi connected power strip that I can control from my phone (setup schedules, turn on/off, etc. When the light is turned on by the powerstrip, it flickers for a little and then doesn't come on. I've tried to use other timers and none of them work. Which fluval light timer worked for you? I also contacted Hagen Fluval and will update this thread when/if I get a response.

I recently purchased a 60L Fluval Edge Aquarium with integrated filter and LED lighting.
It's a lovely sized tank, but I wanted share a couple of issues with you in case you're thinking of getting one.

The LED light is great, and super bright. It does have 3 modes. White, White & Blue and Blue only LED's

However, because it has a touch button on the top, you cannot plug the light into a timer, when the timer switches the light off, it cannot be switched on again from the timer/plug. The only way it can be switched on is to touch the button on the lid. I have managed to fit the Fluval light timer to it, but that only dims the light down to 1%, I cannot have it switch off which is a shame.

The lid is also a bit of a fiddle. Apart from that, its a nice tank. Fluval just didn't think through the lighting.
Sounds familiar. We have a LoveFish 40 litre. The light is great -white/ white blue/ blue option - but it is on the same plug as the filter so you can't use a traditional plug timer. Have to use the switch in the lid. Annoying if you're out!!!
The feeding hatch is a bit of a fiddle too.
This Fluval brand is a lot more widespread though, you'd expect them to think these things through.

If you are handy , you would have To disassemble the light and then you would have to rewire the light to bypass the switch. Then you can use a timer to automatically control it Properly but you would only be able to wire up for one lighting mode.

Last edited:
That's really annoying. I have a Marina Vue 87 which also came with an integrated light setup and touch control on the top of the hood for the white, blue, white/blue combo. With that one you can still use a timer (or a smart plug in my case) and provided the light is "on" when the plug turns off, it just remembers and resumes whatever function it was on when the timer went off. So once the light is on what I want, there is no need to ever touch it again. I find it odd that manufacturers would leave out such basic functionality when it's clearly easy to implement.

That is a real bad flaw with an aquarium light. One of the most important things about lighting is being able to control duration. I am surprised that there is no pink light as fresh water plants need the red spectrum rather than blue.

It is common for aquarium lights to have only white and blue LEDs. Some can have them on separately and together; some can have white only or white & blue together but not blue alone.

That's really annoying. I have a Marina Vue 87 which also came with an integrated light setup and touch control on the top of the hood for the white, blue, white/blue combo. With that one you can still use a timer (or a smart plug in my case) and provided the light is "on" when the plug turns off, it just remembers and resumes whatever function it was on when the timer went off. So once the light is on what I want, there is no need to ever touch it again. I find it odd that manufacturers would leave out such basic functionality when it's clearly easy to implement.
I have this same tank. I've heard the lights can fail after a couple of months or so. How long have you owned it, are the lights still ok?

I have this same tank. I've heard the lights can fail after a couple of months or so. How long have you owned it, are the lights still ok?
I've had that particular setup running since December. Lights are on a timer for 10 hours a day. Had no issues yet although that's only been about three months. Replacement bulbs look to be about £35

I bought the same Fluval about a year ago, and yes the touch light is an issue, I thought it was awesome at first, but then also realised I cant put a timer on the light.
We oftern have power outages in my country, and if the light is plugged in(even if I have touched it off) and the power comes back on in the early hours of the morning, so does the light turn on, this is why I just leave the light unplugged.

I also wonder about oxygen levels in the tank with no air pump, I put an airstone in, but it would create such a big bubble on the upper surface making frequent big popping sounds. Now, I have removed the airstone and dont fill the tank to the brim, in order to allow the filters flow to insert some oxyenation into the tank.
It is not the easiest tank, luckily I have had years of experience with tanks, but for a beginner, I dont recomment it.
Further more, after some thought I felt the tank is more suited to a planted aquatium, with a few shrimp etc.....

My Superfish Home 85 is similar in that the lights have to be cycled through on a touch pad to decrease intensity but on/off at the plug or by timer switches the whole kit and kaboodle on full; that's 4 levels of white led and 2 of blue all on fully with minimal fade in. A built in timer would be really useful rather than the remote control that comes with the kit.

My Superfish Home 85 is similar in that the lights have to be cycled through on a touch pad to decrease intensity but on/off at the plug or by timer switches the whole kit and kaboodle on full; that's 4 levels of white led and 2 of blue all on fully with minimal fade in. A built in timer would be really useful rather than the remote control that comes with the kit.
I have the smaller version of this and it drives me mad! Four steps to turn the white lights off and two for the blue - so a nice gentle (albeit manual) go to bed routine...but all on in one go in the morning!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back