warning about fan / bamboo shrimp

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

emma12321

fish nerd
Reaction score
Hi,

A few monthes ago i purchased 3 Bamboo shrimp they cost £7.99 each but i had read they like to live in groups so i splashed out.

After researching suitable tank mates I found they would fit right in the Rio 400 community tank. At the LFS they had them in a tank with clown loach (2") the shrimp were about 3" long and i asked several times about suitable tank mates. The bloke in the shop said he keeps them with chiclids. He know's i have clown loach, the biggest being around 4 and a half inch.

So i take them home acclimatise them, put them in the tank, they follow each other round for a bit then make there way to the plants and start filtering.

They lasted 2 days. This was a mature tank with no water problems and had ghost shrimp living in it in the past before the clown loaches came along.

I can only presume that they shed and were attacked by loaches while soft. The tank has loads of mopani wood and way too many plants for hiding so what went wrong.

A couple of months later my boyfriends brother got bored of his fish. His tank looked like pea soup and it took ages to catch them, i got 3 black skirts, 2 cardinals, 3 harlequins, 1 x ray tetra, 1 buenos aires tetra, 1 male platy and a massive cameroon armoured fan shrimp. This shrimp was over 5 inches long and spiky as hell surely he would be fine with the loaches. He lasted 3 days. I don't know if this is common but i never found anything on the net to say that loaches would eat such big shrimp. Perhaps i just have killer clowns?

If anyone has this combination of fish keep an eye on them.

Is it possible something in your water killed them? I know loaches will eat snails but I've never heard of them eating large shrimp like that before.

I suppose its possible it could be something in the water but i haven't added anything extra to that tank than the others, they are all set up the same, same wood, plants etc and i haven't added any treatments. My amano shrimp and ghost shrimp are doing fine in another tank. I suppose they could have caught something in the lfs but that doesn't explain the armoured shrimp.

It could have been a yo yo loach i had though. It attacked my corys and ripped up their fins, they were moved to another tank and recovered. The loach also killed a smaller yo yo then disappeared. I never found any trace even when i moved the tank months later and sifted through the sand. I did find a hatchet fish though in the gap behind the tank :byebye: yet there were no gaps in the hood. so that was a good escape and we have no cats or dogs that could have eaten the yo yo, it was about 4 inches long so who knows. Perhaps the killer clowns strike again. The weird thing is they don't bother small fish apart from the platy fry if they are born when i'm not in to scoop them out.

Who knows

Emma :no:

did you check the pH levels? certain fish/ shrimp can't stand certain pH levels.

I have two cameroon armoured shrimp in with all of my botias (including 4 clowns)
they(the shrimp) are doing very well and have reached their full size of 6".

I have two bamboo shrimp in another tank with 2 large angels and again they are doing absolutly fine.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back