Warm Cories (Not the Sterbai?!!)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

quinnARIUM

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I am planning on purchasing a school if 6 to 10 corydoras for my 75 gallon. Right now the temp is about 78 degrees Fahrenheit, but I will gradually raise the temperature to 82-84 degrees in preparation for the Discus I will eventually add to the tank. Now, of course I want Sterbai Corydoras; they look amazing, aren't too big, and can tolerate high temperatures. But they are a bit spendy if I want a school as large as ten. What other Corydoras can tolerate high temperatures? And how easy is it too breed warm-water Corydoras? I have an empty 20 gal and if there aren't any Corydoras cheap enough I would definitely consider getting a few and breeding some more! Thanks for any feedback!

No Corydoras, including C. sterbai, should be maintained at temperatures this high on a permanent basis. Temporary warm weather, or specific disease treatment, is OK, but not continual. The upper limit for any cory, and some cannot manage this long-term, is around 26C/79F. And most species should be below this, around 24-25C/75-77F.

Temperature drives a fish's metabolism, and the warmer the temperature the more it affects the fish's physiology, making it harder work to maintain normal biological processes. The smaller the fish the greater the impact of temperature.

Ok. Someone at a pet store suggested panda Corydoras, Adolfi Corydoras, and bronze Corydoras. None of these would be suitable for 80 degree and warmer water?

Also, if no there Corydoras (besides C. Sterbai) that can be kept at this temperature, what does the breeding process look like for C. Sterbai? Is it realistic to breed some in a 20 gallon tank? How long will it take?

Ok. Someone at a pet store suggested panda Corydoras, Adolfi Corydoras, and bronze Corydoras. None of these would be suitable for 80 degree and warmer water?

One thing we all learn sooner or later is never assume the advice from store staff is accurate, unloess you happen to know the individual's level of knowledge respecting fish biology, habitats, etc. Corydoras panda is a cool water species, it occurs in the Rio Aquas and Rio Amarillas (tributary of Rio Pachitea), Rio Ucayali system, upper Amazon in Peru. Water flow is somewhat faster in these mountain streams, with cooler temperatures; substrate is sand/fine gravel mix.

As I previously said, no species of Corydoras can be maintained permanently at temperatures above 26C/79F. Unless you want unhealthy cories, prone to problems caused by this.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back